[3830] IARU W6QU(W8QZA) SOABSSB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU W6QU(W8QZA) SOABSSB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 23:26:32 +0000
IARU HF World Championship

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOABSSB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:   0       0      0       0
   80:   0       2      1       1
   40:   0      13      5       2
   20:   0      86     12      11
   15:   0       8      5       1
   10:   0       0      0       0
-------------------------------------
Total:   0     109     23      15  Total Score = 11,438

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  40-80 Meters: Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials

The band conditions were very poor. I never heard a station on 10 meters, and I
only had 8 Qs on 15 meters! After skimming off the strong "regulars"
my S&P QRP QSO rate was between 2 and 6 Qs per hour.

N1MM says my op time was 13.1 hours. However, N1MM counts any period over 30
minutes without a Q as "Off time". I had several periods over 30
minutes where I was operating with everything I had but simply could not make a
Q! When these were removed from the N1MM "Off time", my op time in
this contest was 19 hours.

For me, the story of this contest was two events:

1. Saturday evening I was so frustrated with the low Q rate that out of
desperation I decided to try CQing. 10 and 15 were dead, and that left 20
meters which has never worked for me in the past. But the stations called and I
wound up with 15 three point Qs over 50 minutes. This was very significant
considering I only had 109 Qs in the entire contest!

2. After not hearing a single European station for the entire contest, 20
opened over the pole to Europe late Saturday night. I got 5 Eastern European
stations which helped my meager score by about 40% at the time!

In the end, only 5.5% of my Qs were in Europe. In fact, 64% of my Qs were USA!
Only 15 of my Qs were off continent. My DXCC was only 22 and my CQ WAZ was 14.
....those are bad conditions!

Well, it was still a lot of fun, and I intend to keep doing this stuff until my
antennas fall down and I can't put them back up!

See you in the CQ WWDX RTTY contest in the Fall!  73,  Bill Parker  W8QZA -
W6QU