[3830] CQWW VHF K9DR SOSB/6 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K9DR@cox.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K9DR SOSB/6 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 21:47:23 +0000
CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K9DR
Operator(s): K9DR
Station: K9DR

Class: SOSB/6 LP
QTH: Casper WYO
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:   1     1
    2:
-------------------
Total:   1     1  Total Score = 1

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Perhaps the worst contest experience of my life.  Put up new antenna. Hooked
IC756 ProII into IF out of K3 to make use of Icom's band scope.  (Works well,
BTW) Spent several days prior getting a feel for conditions and working new
grids.  Was surprised at how many "Thanks for the new grid" comments
I got.  There has been lots of 6 meter activity from DN62, which is Casper,
Wyoming. Got XYL situated so I was free to operate as needed.  Updated N1MM+.
Started contest on time.

Called CQ both SSB & CW many hundreds of times over next 27 hours and got
one single response from W7FI in Seattle about 7 hours into the contest.  Might
have been meteor scatter, because I immediately jumped to 50.125 and heard
another Seattle area station sign and, before I could call him, he was gone and
the band was dead, again.  The whole process was well under a minute.

No, I my BIC time was small, but I was in the shack checking for signals on the
band scope and calling CQ every 15 - 30 minutes, except the period 8:00 PM to
6:00 AM local time.  I was never spotted on the Reverse Beacon Network nor did
I hear a single beacon during the contest.

They call 6 meters the "Magic Band."  Well, for me, this weekend it
was the "Bad Magic Band.

Dan - K9DR