[3830] CQWW VHF AC0RA/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF AC0RA/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 23:25:21 +0000
CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: AC0RA/R
Operator(s): AC0RA KC0SKM
Station: AC0RA

Class: Rover LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 10

    6:  173   196
    2:   43    30
-------------------
Total:  216   126  Total Score = 32,634

Club:

Comments:

Contest for me always starts a week ahead of time when I start preparing the
rover. Friday evening I had finished up the rover and was just playing around
on 6/2m and made my first ever 2m eskip qso which was cool. Then Saturday at
the start of the contest 6m was open somewhat but didn't seem to last long.
Through the afternoon on Saturday we experienced very low activity levels
struggling to scare up qsos toward dinner time. Did manage a qso with nt0v for
best dx on 2m at 430 miles from EN44. We got bored and headed off to dinner no
more then 5 minutes after we sat down I see the 6m prop map blow up so we took
one for the team I guess. Quickly ate and headed back to the local hill and
went from 72 qsos to 190 in about 90 minutes. After the excitement there we
headed home for the day.

Sunday I woke up quite early but checked radar and storms were coming so I went
back to sleep only to be awaken by the strong winds. Finally got out of the
house headed over to the local corner and found my self going down the dirt
road sideways. Messed around in the mud for a good half hour and finally got on
the air only to find worst activity then Saturday. I operated for about 3.5
hours on sunday only netting another 26 qsos. I called it quits about noon as I
went home made a nice lunch and took a nap till 4pm checking for prop from the
driveway several times to only hear noise.

6M is a blast when it opens but when its dead where is the activity on 2m? Next
year maybe I just sit at home with rover setup for 6m and wait to go out till
the band opens?

I'm thinking my next vhf contest with be January so hope to see you then!

73 Wyatt