[3830] IOTA GM1J(MM0BQI) SO24Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimmartin@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: [3830] IOTA GM1J(MM0BQI) SO24Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2016 15:36:14 +0000
IOTA Contest

Call: GM1J
Operator(s): MM0BQI
Station: GM1J

Class: SO24Mixed LP
QTH: EU092
Operating Time (hrs): 19

   80:   39      25       99      27
   40:   41      27      144      30
   20:   46      30      502      40
   15:    4       4        9       1
   10:    0       0        2       0
Total:  130      86      746      98  Total Score = 1,527,200

Club:

Comments:

Another great IOTA contest from the Summer Isles.  As usual not plain sailing or
to plan!

Combination of work/tide times/boat change meant we had to be on the pier ready
to leave at 0800 Friday morning. Left Edinburgh at 0200 arriving Old Dornie
harbour just before 0800 where the good ship Patricia was waiting to transport
us to Tanera Mor.  After a rowing boat transfer to the beach everything was in
place to start building the station.  (The spirit was willing but the flesh was
exhausted)

I have not used this site before however it is on the shore close to the
highest part of the island due west sloping down to the south so a lot of rock
in that direction!  Aerials were set up above the shore line all home brew wire
antennas on 12m Spiderbeam poles (Fantastic durable masts). 10/15/20 muliband
wire GP feed point at 7m.  40m quarter wave vertical with 4 elevated radials.
80m inverted L on 12m SpiderPole with 4 elevated radials.  K3, MicroHam keyer
and N1MM+ software.  Issues with mic and feedback for a time but it seemed to
clear so further investigation required to see what went wrong.

Found a clear spot on 20m and had a few Qs just before the contest started.  At
1200 what was a quiet frequency was obliterated, I made my first Q at 1208……
 10m and 15m never opened for me, all very watery and weak signals.  Some great
cluster fueled runs on 20m, it’s amazing how no one encroaches on your feeble
signal if you are being called by loads of stations.  Once the pile dies they
move in like vultures!

Thought I could stay awake for the 24 hours with maybe a short sleep between
0200-0500, managed until 0500 then fell asleep at the rig, missed all the early
morning good stuff!  Shut down before 1100 due to generator issues but by that
time I was a complete zombie.

Not sure if the new multi op rules are making a difference? I noticed no
increase in availability of these stations and no increase in being called by
them. The rule changes are a good move and it would be interesting to hear
other experiences.

As far as world HP stations sitting in the middle of the band and working
strings of other world stations, I am not sure of the value of this.  Makes it
hard for LP DXpedition stations to be heard on a crowded band and after all it
is the ISLANDS ON THE AIR contest.

What a fantastic contest and time on the island.  I can only manage a few
contests each year due to other commitments but IOTA is so good it drives me
and many others to do mad things and get out and about to activate the islands.
 Thanks for all the contacts and to the RSGB for developing and improving the
contest.

73

Jim, MM0BQI.

GM1J on the Summer Isles, EU92.