[3830] 50FallSprnt K1TEO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 50FallSprnt K1TEO Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2016 19:48:24 +0000
50 MHz Fall Sprint

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 1.5

Total:  QSOs = 160  Mults = 61  Tot Dist(km) = 1  Total Score = 9,760

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

I hadn't planned on entering the contest. I got home after the start and was
about to sit down to watch the Olympic track events. Since it was late in the
first hour, and activity generally peaks then, I thought I would get on for a
few minutes and hand out some points before watching. I was surprised to hear a
crowded band and the first station I heard was in EM66. I sat down on .135 and
worked Es to the SW and W. The QRN was very high with static crashes making all
but strong stations tough to copy. After about an hour of operating I noticed a
huge flash of light out the window and realized an electrical storm was nearby.
I hadn't checked the Doppler as I usually do as I didn't think I was going to
operate. I shut down and disconnected everything at that point with about 115
QSO's.

The storm seemed to remain overhead for a long time, with constant flashes, and
heavy rain and wind. With the contest nearly over, it seemed to let up and a
quick check of the Doppler radar showed the storm had moved far enough away to
safely operate. In my initial hour on the band I hadn't worked many local grids
so I figured maybe I could add a few assuming the band would be closed by this
point. Much to my surprise the band was full of stations and a single CQ netted
a nice pile up. It was very short skip, as close as 350 miles (FN00) with lots
of 8's and9's with a few 4's as well. I operated the last 22 minutes of the
contest and had 45 QSO's - that was fun!

This of course was a sprint where had I known the band would be open throughout
I would have tried harder to get on. But then the 90 minute+ storm break would
have been more frustrating. I would say this was the best opening I have
experienced in a 6M sprint. Great timing! I only worked 7 local grids - not a
single one here in New England other than my own. I did turn the antenna to the
NE once but my CQ netted a W9 and W8 and it wasn't hard to figure out I could
make more hay focusing on the Es.

Anyway, despite the limited operation it was a lot of fun and a nice surprise.

See you in Sept on the higher bands.

Jeff