[3830] OhQP K8AJS Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bastinj@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] OhQP K8AJS Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 12:00:40 +0000
Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8AJS
Operator(s): K8AJS
Station: K8AJS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH/WAYN
Operating Time (hrs): 7

   80:   38     33
   40:   46      5
   20:   65      2
   15:    8      0
   10:    3      0
--------------------
Total:  160     40  CW Mults = 52  Ph Mults = 31  Total Score = 29,880

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The contest was interesting, conditions didn’t amount to much, but there were
contacts to be made.

Seven minutes into the contest, I worked K8MR mobile in Wayne county; THANK
YOU, Jim for that contact. If not for it, I would not have had Wayne County in
the log, there didn’t seem to be anyone else other than myself operating
here. Frequently during the contest a contact would thank me for Wayne county,
as I was the first contact they had here.

Unexpectedly, 20 meters seemed to be the “money band” this year, even
though what it produced was basically small change. I’m not a good phone
contester, and had a rough time finding any contacts on 20m SSB, competing with
the Kansas QSO Party, the Katrina special event, W5YM on the air commemorating
the 100th anniversary of the ham radio club at the University of Arkansas, it
was hard to find space to work.

I took a couple of short trips to 10 meters, resulting in a total of three
contacts on CW. Better than nothing.

An hour before sunset, the atmospheric noise was just getting fierce, with the
line of thunderstorms that was approaching; it was hard to copy anyone I was
trying to work, I needed a lot of repeats. Trying to work on 40 meter CW at
that time was difficult, the band was crowded with RTTY signals from the SCC
RTTY contest (along with CW sigs from KQP that had been there all day). When
the thunderstorm arrived, with its lightning and thunder and rain, I decided it
was a good time to shut down, ground the antennas and call it quits.

In spite of the difficulties, I had fun in the contest. I thank everyone for
all the contacts, I’m sorry I couldn’t hear more of the mobiles, but I can
always try for better results next year…:-)

Rig: Elecraft K3/P3 100 watts
Antennas: Quad, 3 el 20/15, 4 el 10m; 40 m Inv Vee; 204-foot G5RV on 80m
Software: N1MM Logger+ v1.0.5849.0