[3830] TnQP N8II SO FixedMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] TnQP N8II SO FixedMixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 19:18:08 +0000
Tennessee QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SO FixedMixed HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 7.7

  160:    5                     5
   80:   34     18             33
   40:   64     66             66
   20:   10      0             10
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  222:
  432:
-----------------------------------
Total:  113     84      0     114  Total Score = 68,574

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Score includes 6 Q's x 100 bonus points wih K4TCG, thanks! Kirk's (K4RO) station
was the only one who was good solid copy on 20 CW backscatter late Saturday
afternoon.

It was not an ideal TQP, stalwart N4ZZ, Don did not go mobile this year and
conditions were very poor above 40M with a high K index. There was never a hint
of anything on 20 except mostly very weak backscatter. I think I caught W4NZ/M
up there twice. I check 20 phone a couple of times and heard nothing and nil on
QSY with N4BCD although he heard me. But what was lost on 20 was somewhat gained
on 40 and 80. Even western TN was within range on 40 all day and signals were
loud from 2030Z until the skip zone crept over eastern TN staring around 2215Z,
but improving around 2330Z. By 0030Z eastern TN was mostly skipping over on 40
and my last QSO there was just after 02Z. By 2330Z, 80 was open well and
perhaps at its best around 0030Z as signals did not seem to improve later and
the noise level from distant storms which at first was very low was a steady
drone the last 90 minutes. 160 was very workable, only W4TTM was weak when we
moved. I moved guys who were fairly loud on 80 and would be new mults on 160,
did not bother the rest. K4TCG was the only TN station who gave 160 a real go
and he was not busy. By 0130Z activity on 80 was well on its to a very slow
last half hour as TN stations had worked out most of what they could. I had
very good results running on 40 phone, a stark contrast to 75M where activity
was quite low despite very good conditions; K4TAX/QRP was a solid 10 db over S9
on my generous S meter. 80 CW activity overall was decent. At about 0020Z I
asked W4NZ/M for a QSY from 40 to 80 where I think they had not been yet; they
were pretty solid copy the rest of the evening and more that doubled their 20M
QSO total on 80 CW!
80 became their money band.

Mark (K0EJ) with Ted W4NZ/M logged me 26 times, thanks so much for keeping it
interesting until the end. Tom, K4ZGB/M was on until a least 0210Z and provided
many rare mults; thanks Tom for so many QP QSO's over the years. I also worked
mobiles K1GU and Jules, N2WN just a few times. There seemed to be no mobiles
active on SSB. K4TCG was quite active which helped and a couple other fixed
stations were worked 4 times including N4VV and NS4X.

I tried to concentrate on mults with a lot of frustrating listening on 20 and
no answers to 80 and 75M CQ's. Some nice mults called in on 40 phone. Many
thanks for the QSO's and thanks to TCG for sponsoring TQP.

73, Jeff