[3830] ARRL Sep VHF N0JK Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF N0JK Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 17:53:32 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  24     22  Total Score = 726

Club:

Comments:

What a nice surprise tropo opening Sunday evening. APRS and Hepburn's maps
really didn't show it. I had to work both days of the contest, got off work 7pm
Sunday. Original plan was to set up portable to make a few contacts to be able
to send in a log. But when I got everything up -- first contact was W4NH EM85
on 2 meters at 0100z! Band was open, game on!

>From eastern KS on 432 MHz I worked:  N0LL EM09, KB0ZOM/r EN00, K0TPP EM48,
several EM29 stations, N0OY EM18, K2DRH EN41, N4QWZ EM66 and a real catch -
W4NH EM85 on 432 MHz at 0235z at 706 miles.

I was running 10 watts and a single M2 2M7 yagi on 2 and for 70 cm a homebrew
N6NB 8 el Quagi on a 5 ft. mast. Location on a hill top just west of Lawrence,
KS EM28ix.  I had only one mast on a tripod - so to switch bands took the 2M
yagi down, put 432 Quagi on mast and switched coax on the radio. It was
painful... but worth it. The operating site has a great horizon W - N - E and
southeast across Lawrence. Turned out to be a good spot.

I was about to take everything down at 0230z when W4NH appeared loud on
144.205. Worked them again  -- W4NH was now well over S-9, and asked them to
listen for me on 432. Took the yagi down and put the Quagi on the mast,
attached the 9913 coax to it and then the radio. This all while fumbling in the
dark. W4NH turned their 70 cm array this way, and to my surprise, I could hear
them on 432.105 calling CQ on CW!  Conditions improved, W4NH now 579, and we
made a solid Q!! Finished the contest working N0LL on 144 and 432.