[3830] ARRL Sep VHF KF2MR/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kf2mr@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF KF2MR/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 10:19:54 +0000

  3.4:   10     6
  5.7:
  10G:    4     3
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  238    92  Total Score = 42,136

Club: Rochester VHF Group

Comments:

Activated FN22, FN13, FN03, FN02, and FN12. Overall I am happy with my results
and specifically happy with the 2.3 and 3.4G contacts. The K2LIM group now has
good microwave equipment and this helped contribute to my microwave activity.
Additionally K2LDT/R was on some of the local hilltops and VE3OIL/R was across
the lake with very strong signals up to 3.4G. A few guys from the Rochester VHF
Group also got on the air to help with some microwave contacts. This has not
been a highly active contest over the past couple of years, but I seemed to
stay busy all weekend. 902/3 was a disappointment. I split the TX/RX on the
transverter and upgraded from the stock 8W output to a 40W amplifier. The
reports were very good on my transmissions, but I could not hear anything. With
S9+ noise all the time no matter where I pointed, the only signal I heard over
this was VE3OIL/R. While noise was always a problem on this band, I seemed to
have made it worse with the modification. On Sunday I switched to an FM HT and
10W amplifier which worked fine. I have plans to add 60W on 1296, 60W on 2304,
and 20W on 3456. Based on my experience on 902, I think I will go a bit slower
until I can ensure I wont screw up the other bands. I tore down the rover
completely, removing all of the shelving and power for the first time since
June. It is nice to have my car back to normal for awhile. This is my last
major VHF+ event until January. See you then!