[3830] CaQP W6YX M/MSchool HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP W6YX M/MSchool HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 08:20:34 +0000
California QSO Party

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): NF1R K2YY ND2T AA6XV N6DB W6LD N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: M/MSchool HP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 26

  160:    21      0
   80:   139    146
   40:   388    554
   20:   648   1087
   15:   525    771
   10:   130     74
    6:
    2:
--------------------
Total:  1851   2632  Mults = 58  Total Score = 658,416

Club:

Comments:

I was hopeful that we could get enough operators this year to challenge N6O in
M/M after being short 400 SSB Qs last year. Congratulations to Ken and the crew
at N6O as they again had 400 more SSB Qs, but we had 100 more CW Qs this year
after being nearly even last year.

N6DE successfully remoted into VY1AAA so we didn't have Dean to help us out
except in providing that needed final mult. Thanks to W1VE, VY1JA and everyone
else involved in making that possible.

We set up 5 radios, almost the same as last year, except one more K3 and one
less FT1000MP.

40/15 SSB: K3/Alpha-9500, M2 4 el. 40, Telrex 6 el. 15
80/20 SSB: K3/Alpha-86, 80 Inv. Vee, KLM 6 el. 20
40/20 CW: FT1000MP Mark V/Alpha-9500, 40 Inv. Vee, HyGain 205CA, C31XR
80/15/10 CW: K3/Alpha-78, 80 Inv. Vee, HyGain 155CA, Telrex 6 el. 10, C31XR
40/10 CW/SSB: K3/KPA500, Telrex 6 el. 10, M2 4 el. 40, C31XR

We started with 4 ops - Tom/ND2T on 20 SSB, Rebar/N6DB on 15 SSB, John/K2YY on
20 CW and me trying to do both 15 CW and 10 CW.

While running on 15 CW I spent the first couple of hours trying to troubleshoot
the 10 CW station which showed a 10:1 SWR at contest start when it had been
1.6:1 the previous evening. Finally after bypassing all of the switches and
filters I concluded that the feedline or antenna had gone bad overnight and
swapped in the 6 el. Telrex 10 in place of the HyGain 105CA.

When I finally got a working antenna for 10 the band was already open.
John/W6LD arrived just after I'd made one or two Qs on 10 so he took over that
radio and went back and forth between 10 and 40.

W6LD stayed only a few hours and ND2T left shortly after so we were down to 3
ops. K2YY moved to 20 SSB and I did SO2R duty on 15 and 20 CW. The 15 CW rate
went to zero so I moved that radio to 40 CW. 15 SSB continued to be productive
for some time after we gave up on CW but finally N6DB moved to 40 SSB.

Clayton/NF1R arrived (with pizza!) and started on 20 CW but soon was moved to
40 CW. I set up the K3/KPA500 on 80 CW and tried to eke out a few more Qs on 20
CW on the adjacent radio.

While NF1R was running on 40 we noticed that the Alpha-9500 would periodically
go into the red for a second or two on the SWR display. I left my radios and
checked all of the coax connectors on the 40 station. I then went outside to
inspect the inverted vee and saw that the wind was blowing one of the wires
into a strut in the 2m EME array. I removed the slack from the inverted vee
support line and moved it away from the EME array and the high SWR problem was
resolved.

After returning to the shack NF1R pointed out that I'd left the 20m radio
Auto-CQing. Apologies to anyone who tried to call while the radio was
unattended.

Dave/AA6XV came late in the evening after N6DB and NF1R had left. K2YY left
shortly after them. Our score on 80 and 40 suffered because we were undermanned
during the late evening.

I left around 0700 and AA6XV stayed several hours later but there was very
little to be worked. I returned at 1200 and K2YY and N6DB came later in the
morning. K2YY ended up doing 15 phone and N6DB did 20 phone for the rest of the
contest. I did SO2R on 15 and 20 CW and also periodically tried 10 but the
opening on Sunday was not as good as Saturday's.

In the last hour of the contest our 15 SSB computer locked up a couple of
times, forcing us to reboot and eventually to move 15 SSB to the K3/KPA500.

We may have worked more African stations than Europe. 5T and several ZS
stations called on 40 SSB and C9 called on 15.

Thanks for all the QSOs and the many moves.

73,
Mike, N7MH