[3830] JARTS G0URR/P Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] JARTS G0URR/P Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 10:55:57 +0000
JARTS WW RTTY Contest

Call: G0URR/P
Operator(s): G0URR
Station: G0URR/P

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 27

   80:   65    24
   40:  108    30
   20:  296    65
   15:  197    57
   10:   19     8
-------------------
Total:  685   184  Total Score = 288,144

Club:

Comments:

Having very limitted space at my home, i always operate portable. I wanted to
make an effort in JARTS this year as i had just returned from CQWW RTTY in
Guernesey and the contesting bug has bitten. I have a friend who is GM of the
Passford Hotel in Lymington here on the South Coast of England. A quick visit
to her at the hotel and she offered me the main field behind the hotel,
complete with helipad !! fortunately no one wanted to land via helicopter !!
The shack was to be the gardeners shed. No problem said I, anything that means
i can contest is great. Turns out the shed wasnt exactly waterproof !! above my
operating position, a glass window was missing !! I had to move the shack in the
early hours of the morning away from the hole !! either that or keep wiping
water from the screen and keyboard !! I actually had a great time in this
contest, worked a lot of new countries or countries i havent heard for a while.
The Icom 7300 worked flawlessly, how i contested without the waterfall, I will
never know !! MMTY played up a little, it still doesnt like ALT K to send a
message, when you come back it will not decode and has to be restarted,
frustrating but ok. The spiderbeam worked brilliantly, the spiderbeam mast,
shorter after the damage in Guernsey was good too.
Antennas were, Spiderbeam for 10-15-20 at 30ft, a 40m vertical with elevated
radials and a dipole at 20ft for 80m. At the end of the contest I had to pack
everything away before leaving. I decided to take down the 40m vertical and 80m
dipole, thinking I could carry on with 20m, that was ok but I ran out of people
to work so gave up at 9pm utc. I should have left the 40m vertical and the 80m
dipole up, lesson learnt there. A huge thank you is owed to the Passford Hotel,
Lymington, (a great venue in the heart of the New Forest, near the sea, well
worth a visit) hotel for allowing me the space to take part, Im hoping this
will be my new contest home, in exchange for talking with the other hotel
guests who were fascinated by what I was doing but too shy to stop by and ask
me and me photographing various new menu items and refurbished rooms as a thank
you !!
Thanks to Jarts for organising the contest and to one and ll that took the time
to work me. Till the next time 73's Robb G0URR