[3830] CQWW SSB VE6WZ SOSB(A)/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve6wz@shaw.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE6WZ SOSB(A)/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 19:44:44 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE6WZ
Operator(s): VE6WZ
Station: VE6WZ

Class: SOSB(A)/40 HP
QTH: Sundre AB
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1133    23       47  Total Score = 158,200

Club:

Comments:

This was the "big stress test" to see if my new remote station 100km
north of my home could hold up and remain functional through a contest. I have
been building the new remote station over the last 1.5 years.

In summary it was a success and perhaps exceeded my expectations for
functionality and stability. I was fearful that it might not be able to
"keep up" or there might be crashes and off times. Although there
were a few glitches at first, in the end it was very solid.

40m conditions were poor with all polar paths either very muted or
non-exsitant. EU was a shut-out except for a few via long-path in the am, and
Asia was a wash-out too. I copied numerous JA's and others but my
"ears" are better than my TX (thats a good thing).

The remote setup was as follows:
RemoteRig K3s twin set-up with K3 mini in Calgary, remote access to Sundre
computer via TeamViewer to control peripherals such as Amp, power, rotor, video
surveillance etc. Local in Calgary N1MM logging with CAT control to remote and
VE7CC cluster local feeding N1MM. Acom 2000a amplifier and 2 el Yagi at 100'
(30m)

Wireless connection speed at the remote site about 30-40ms ping, 4.5 Mb/s DL,
and .8 Mb/s UL

Here are some details of how things functioned:

1. On Friday night all was going good when suddenly N1MM crashed sending
"multiple info windows" cascading repeatedly onto the screen without
stopping. The only way to recover was to Ctrl-Alt-Del the program. Fortunately
all QSO's were saved.
I went back to operating but this same crash happened about three times
throughout the night. I also noticed that somehow the bandmap window was not
"keeping up" with the radio and a message at the bottom of N1MM would
say "radio stopped comm, press to reset radio" which regained band map
com. In spite of this things worked well.
On Saturday morning it occurred to me that perhaps the computer and N1MM were
have trouble with the USB-Serial virtual port connection to the Remote rig RCC
-K3. RemoteRig provides a "virtual serial port utility" that creates
Comm ports that talk to the RCC unit via the USB connection.
Later Saturday morning I purchase a couple of 2 port serial com cards for the
W10 machine. (none of my old serial cards will work on W10...no drivers
available online). I installed the com card and connected the RCC -K3 and
established connection which solved the problem. Solid radio communication with
N1MM with no error messages for the remainder of the contest. Instant
"point-and-shoot" on the band map or multiplier packet window with
the radio keeping up flawlessly. It seems like a real "hard serial port
connection" is preferred rather than a USB virtual port.

2. Even though the DX was poor, it was a good contest to see how the station
could run. I had some pretty good runs going and found that the remote kept up
with no problem. There may have been three times when after releasing the PTT
(foot switch) that the remote stayed in TX, but a quick step on the foot peddle
recovered RX.
Below I cut-and-paste the N1MM report showing my run stats. My peak rate was
201 Q's per hour, and the most sustained rate was 632 Q's at 176/hr. I never
felt like there was a limitation on exchange rate. I went as fast as I could.

CQ WorldWide SSB - 2016-10-29 0000Z to 2016-10-31 0000Z - 1160 QSOs
VE6WZ Runs >10 QSOs:

2016-10-29 0147 - 0216Z,    7242 kHz, 91 Qs, 187.1/hr VE6WZ
2016-10-29 0217 - 0222Z,    7204 kHz, 17 Qs, 201.3/hr VE6WZ
2016-10-29 0224 - 0252Z,    7242 kHz, 55 Qs, 119.3/hr VE6WZ
2016-10-29 0331 - 0335Z,    7242 kHz, 11 Qs, 203.1/hr VE6WZ
2016-10-29 0348 - 0353Z,    7242 kHz, 11 Qs, 147.2/hr VE6WZ
2016-10-29 0503 - 0519Z,    7244 kHz, 22 Qs, 83.4/hr VE6WZ
2016-10-29 1255 - 1316Z,    7156 kHz, 18 Qs, 51.1/hr VE6WZ
2016-10-29 2325 - 0300Z,    7237 kHz, 632 Qs, 176.4/hr VE6WZ

3. Internet connection remained solid throughout the contest, not once failing
or providing limited bandwidth. TeamViewer remained solid throughout giving
constant feedback on station essentials...output power, amp status, rotor
control, shack temperature and wind status.

I summary, while operating this contest, most of the time it felt like I was
local at the radio in all respects. I never felt limited by the remote.

The next "big test" will be CQWW CW. I need to do some more work to
figure out how to get the keying to work from N1MM to the remote and at the
same time provide interrupt access for the local paddle to hand send as needed.
I have been reading from others using RemoteRig with N1MM local and it can be
done. My concern is regarding PTT/VOX control to the remote and if it will be
fast enough for high-speed exchanges. To be honest I think the CW set-up will
be the biggest challenge. I guess we will see how it works.
See you all in the CW test.

de Steve ve6wz