[3830] CQWW SSB N7AT(@K8IA/N7RQ) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bobk8ia@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N7AT(@K8IA/N7RQ) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 02:25:17 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N7AT
Operator(s): K8IA KC7V NY7N
Station: K8IA/N7RQ

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 45

  160:   12     5        5
   80:  268    24       44
   40:  703    29       74
   20:  532    30       78
   15:  669    29       74
   10:  144    16       39
------------------------------

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

A small, select group of Arizona Outlaws has been operating CQWW events, M/2,
here for the past seven years. We have had a lot of fun and some good scores
from this small, single tower, N7AT contest station. The fun and laughs has
been as priceless as the good scores.

2016 CQWW SSB almost didn't happen for our M/2 group.

The Monday of contest week saw me staring angrily at a black screen of our
Orion II. If this had happened earlier than contest week, a suitable
contingency plan could have been acted on. A few tech checks showed it was
simply too late to get it running properly for CQWW SSB.

The other ops were notified and asked of they were still interested in
operating, maybe as a single radio M/S. Not being a particular fan of the M/S
rules, and knowing at least one of the other ops feel the same, I was ready for
just doing a single op something this weekend.

Surprisingly, every op said "let's still do it". One even pointed out
that we could operate the black screen Orion II, albeit carefully, if we tried.
(The screen back-lighting failure has nothing to do with the radio. The radio
is fully operational, except for a screen.)

With their proclamation and enthusiasm, I set up another M/2 entry. I also told
them, "since we don't have a look at the settings, and cannot do our usual
SO2V from that radio, let's just do a "points for the club"
operation. None of our tight scheduling, no usual goals, loose operating
strategies, no multiplier strategies, no nada. If you want to operate, do so.
If you want to take some time out to watch some NFL/NHL or whatever, do so. No
pressure, just some fun. None of us had done a "just for fun"
operation here in a very long time.

We had a blast! As luck would have it, the black screen Orion II was used
effectively and accounted for 41% of our 2328 qso's. It was difficult to deal
with at first, but with N1MM+ displaying the frequency and splits and RIT, etc,
out ears could accomplish the  necessary setting changes etc.

No, we didn't have our usual op coverage for the entire weekend, nor was it
expected. It was Mike KC7V and I the first 24 hours and then a relief, with
Andy NY7N joining us for the remainder of the contest. Mike actually ended up
putting in 39 hours with his butt in chair. Not too shabby!

Fun weekend, and although not a competitive M/2 score, great points for the
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club.

See you in CQWW CW next month, with a fully working radio at the #2 position.

Big kudos to xyl Sandy N7RQ for the usual great menu!

73, Bob K8IA
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club