[3830] CQWW SSB ON3DI SOSB/80 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, on3di@uba.be
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB ON3DI SOSB/80 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 14:42:07 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: ON3DI
Operator(s): ON3DI
Station: ON3DI

Class: SOSB/80 LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 19u41

  160:
   80:  263    6        36
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total:  263    6        36  Total Score = 10,542

Club:

Comments:

Hi

Last year I had around 500 qso's on 80m, had some nice pile-ups, so the plan
was the be active again on 80m. Two weeks before the contest I read the
prediction of a solarstorm the tuesday before the contest. I hoped that the
consequences of that storm would be over before the contest. Unfortunately it
wasn't, K index was 5, said enough.

I could know that the conditions would be hard. Normally it isn't easy to find
a clear spot when the contest starts, this time it wasn't a problem. The first
hour I had 24 qso's, even when I was spotted. CN2R came back to my call, it was
a small highlight. After six hours I had 62 qso's, for comparison, three years
ago I had 69 qso's the first hour. I think the word frustration is in place...
I heard station like W3LPL, WE3C, KC1XX, they were weak and the couldn't hear
me. At 6 UTC I had again a hour of 22 qso's, better then the 6-7 of the hours
before that. After that I went to bed and slept a few hours. I had no interest
to play on the other bands, instead I called a bit CQ in CW. I'm still learning
and trying to increase my speed. I called CQ with 20wpm, worked some guys, but I
have still a lot of work to do until the CQ WW CW.

At Saturdayevening the first hours started good, ON3EI was so kind to spot me
different times, as result I had an hour of 33 qso's, party! No special qso's
but it was fun to have something that looked like a pile-up. After that rates
dropped again with 6-13 qso's/hour. I went once again to my seat for a nap.
After my nap I wanted to work USA, but again it wasn't possible, so no US in my
log... The best feeling of the contest was working 9K2HN, hallelujah!

The conditions on sundayevening were even worse, I let it go, watched some tv
and around 23 UTC I was sleeping. Normally I don't quit before the end of a
contest, but the joy was gone. Some DL/F were calling CQ and they couldn't hear
me, if that is not going, why trying then...

2015       2016
38         19u41   QRV time
512        263     qso's on 80m
13         0       USA on 80m
6          6       zones
48         36      countries
25857      10542   (claimed) points
9          19      been spotted

I never been spotted that much, bit pitty that the reward of that was so low.
Anyway thanks to all who have spot me.
I hoped for more, the conditions are getting worse but I think/hope that the
conditions of the past weekend were the result of the solarstorm and not alone
of the decreasing solarcycle.

Done this contest with a fullsize dipole, 50w, N1MM+.

Thanks to all who called me.

Hope to work you during my first full effort during the CQ WW CW. I will try to
call CQ, please QRS a bit!

73

Pieter ON3DI