[3830] CQWW SSB WX3B M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB WX3B M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 15:52:24 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B WA3AER WR3R W3DF ND3D W3MBC N3SB K3WI N8IVN
Station: WX3B

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Maryland
Operating Time (hrs): 45

  160:   74     9       19
   80:  281    23       78
   40:  567    25       77
   20:  807    33      115
   15:  519    27       91
   10:  276    18       51
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Many thanks to Tom K3AJ, Bryan N3ST and Rob K1RH for repairing my 20m Yagi the
weekend prior to the contest.  20 meters played well �" especially
considering the band conditions in this contest….and it was nice seeing that
LOW and STABLE SWR all weekend long.

Family circumstances (aging in-laws) dictated that this would not be a full
time effort for me, and my plans to be at home, and operating a significant
portion of the time quickly changed.

Fortunately, Gary, WR3R stepped up to the plate and became the WX3B station
manager in my absence….which turned out to be…for…most of the contest.

I chalked up about 18 on-site hours the entire weekend.  I still marveled at
some isolated operating events….like the loud SM and OH stations calling (15
& 20)…..a random YL2 after EU died (20)….LOUD JAs on Sunday night even
though there were no density of them to run (20)….RU1A at S9 on 15 meters
calling me at 4:30pm after I hadn’t heard a single Russian on that
band…..LZ9W loud all the time/everywhere….etc.  10 meters was kind of FUN
running South Americans!!   I have to say I’ve never heard 20 so flat…the
roaring pileups that happen in the late afternoon at WX3B…didn’t happen
this year.

Gary WR3R and Ted WA3AER pulled an incredible on-campus stint for 48 hours and
much of the team duty.  Both men arrived early to assist me in the (2)
reversible beverage installation.  Both Gary and Ted  were up all night both
nights manning 20/40/80/160….and somehow they were awake mid-afternoon to
staff the high bands.  It takes a lot of commitment to stay up all night when
the band conditions are marginal!!

We welcomed Mike W3MBC to the team for his first contest experience at WX3B.
Someone has to explain to Mike that conditions are usually much better!

I have known Dan W3DF for many years and it was a pleasure to host him at WX3B.
 Dan did everything he could to milk the bands he was on for QSOs.  I got to
observe him from the next seat as he operated 20 and 40 for hours right up
until the end of the contest Sunday.

It was nice to welcome Bob ND3D back on Saturday.  Bob has been at WX3B several
times in the past, and he also is a frequent guest at W3LL’s station.

Dennis N8IVN joined us on Saturday for his share of the fun and we had a chance
to compare notes about being newlyweds and the impact on our radio schedules.
From the sound of it, Dennis had one of the more productive and lively 20 meter
runs!

Bill K3WI promptly arrived as promised at about 5something Saturday
morning….unlike his partner WX3B.  The text messages were gloomy about how
there was no sustained EU and even the big guns were weak.  Things didn’t
really improve all that much by 8:00am…..but Bill did his best until about
11:00+am and that was enough for him.   Bill returned Sunday mid-day and did
have a nice short run before 15 fell apart again.

N3SB and Martha joined us for Friday night and enjoyed their productive time on
20 meters together!!  N3SB also played backup station manager Friday night.

Thanks to those that spotted us, and it was nice to see team W4AAW with a full
crew this weekend.  I heard them everywhere!!  For those that don’t know,
W4AAW is a totally remote Multi/Multi station.  More information on that
fascinating operation is available at www.remotecontesting.com.  Mike has been
doing some serious station building...

See you in Sweepstakes….and of course CQWW CW…where conditions have GOT to
be better than they were for SSB!!  (We can hope).

73,

Jim Nitzberg   WX3B