[3830] CQWW SSB KR2Q SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KR2Q SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2016 19:27:40 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KR2Q
Operator(s): KR2Q
Station: KR2Q

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: NJ FN20RU
Operating Time (hrs): 33

  160:    1     1        1
   80:   44    11       24
   40:  117    19       48
   20:  241    19       78
   15:  197    16       56
   10:   90    11       36
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Well, it was 2012 when I last did a full out effort QRP all band (SSB).  Then
hurricane Sandy hit and took out my main tower and antennas.  After that, I
limped along with mono-band efforts using my home brew 2L quad at 55 feet, all
CW only.  The quad is fed with RG58.  Really (hey, I am QRP).

So it was with great anticipation that I once again, with the main tower back
up and a new antenna system, was ready to go for SSB QRP in 2016.  Of course,
the sun gods had other ideas.  Can you imagine how bad it was when, from NJ, no
DLs or LZs on 15m?  No OH, no SM, and no SP.  Not even a UA or YU.  Sigh.

But I was psyched and kept on plowing through.   I was very excited to find an
opening on 10m to Europe….well, mostly to EA (33 of them!).  Spotlight
propagation on 10m.  Love it.

And let’s hear it for South America.  Where would we be without them?  Yay
SA!  I’m sure we are going to see lots of winners from below the equator this
time around (everybody gets their chance to win…eventually).

Having a 3L yagi on 40m is a whole new world for me.  Wow, it really does play
well.  Unfortunately, I somehow ran out of time and had nothing on 160.
Happily, one of the locals could hear me on TOP band.   Good for 2 more mults.
And about my coax to the main tower - all replaced with 7/8 inch Heliax.

Working DX on 80m was different too.  I got a good number of South Americans
and zone 8 guys.  I called lots of EU on 80, but after many, many calls, they
didn’t ever hear me.  Not even an “again” or “who”.  Off the top of
my head, I think I worked just one EU on 80: S57AW.  It was like a miracle.  I
called him one time and he came back instantly.  Wow…how did that happen?
Great ears, I guess.

So I’m ready for CW (the only real mode, right?).   Gosh, but I do hate
phone.  LOL

Elecraft K3/10

de Doug KR2Q