[3830] CQWW SSB P40A(KK9A) SOAB Classic LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@p40a.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB P40A(KK9A) SOAB Classic LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2016 04:02:11 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: P40A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: P49V

Class: SOAB Classic LP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:   13     4       10
   80:   71    13       32
   40:  538    20       59
   20:  462    19       57
   15: 1146    22       67
   10:  520    15       24
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

My wife and I made another trip to Aruba for this year’s CQWW Contest and also
for our wedding anniversary which occurred on the Monday after the contest
(Halloween). We were married in Aruba 14 years earlier. We were on the same
flight as John W6LD/P40L and Randy K5ZD who were operating a multi-single. It
was nice to see John again and it was great finally meet Randy. John, W2GD/P40W
was already on the island and he came over to the P49V home where we were
staying on Wednesday morning with the Aruba fire department lift truck and crew
to replace the corroded match on both Hy-Gain TH7s. John quickly replaced the
parts but unfortunately the repair was only partially successful, he did get
one beam working but only on 10m and 15m. I did have other antennas available
that radiated on 20m but for some reason some caused intermittent audio issues
with my Elecraft K3S, even at lower power. The Cushcraft 40m beam was working
well and the house and shack were in excellent condition. While working outside
I was amazed at how good the resident iguana is at tower climbing. I decided to
make a very casual Classic LP effort and spend more time with my XYL. A
geomagnetic storm had made the conditions horrible so operating half the
contest seemed like a fun plan. Instead of preparing and resting for the
contest on Friday afternoon, we went downtown shopping at the jewelry stores.
Bad propagation was starting to become expensive! I had no real contest
strategy other than operating on all bands long enough to get a reasonable
multiplier count, spend enough time on the higher bands to have hours of fast
rates and to be able to spend Sunday on the beach. Going to the beach was the
only part of my plan that worked out well! Making QSOs and working multipliers
turned out to be more difficult than I anticipated. P40W was the only station
that I worked on all six bands, thanks John. Late in the contest after our trip
to the beach, I went on 17m CW and had a surprisingly fun pileup. On our
anniversary, we rented a 3- seat ATV and drove along the rough terrain on the
north side of the island. This was very fun and we later had a nice lobster
dinner. So while radio conditions were dreadful, we still had a fun time in
Aruba snorkeling, walking the beaches, shopping, dining out and watching the
Cubs in the World Series. Thanks for the QSOs!

73,
John KK9A �" P40A
http://www.p40a.com

Please QSL via WD9DZV