[3830] SS CW AD1C SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jjreisert@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] SS CW AD1C SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 01:10:01 +0000

------------

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Radio:     Yaesu FTDX-5000, 100 watts
Antennas:  Hy-Gain AV-640 vertical
           1/2 size G5RV dipole in attic
           Loaded (shortened) dipole for 80 meters
Software:  WriteLog for Windows

I spent a good part of Saturday trying to solve someone else's computer
problem. When I finally sat down to start the contest, I was having my own
problems with using "prefill" data to identify needed DX cluster
spots of new sections.  I operated for 4 hours, putting only 129 QSOs in the
log.  I had other things I'd rather be doing.

Sunday I got up still needing 14 sections.  Because I did not spend any time on
80 meters Saturday night, I was convinced I had missed my chance to work the
adjacent states - WY, UT, NE (and ND).  I operated about 3 hours from 14z to
17z, and at that point I just needed RI, NE, ND and WY for a sweep.  I came
back at 20z and as the bandmap was loading from the CW Skimmer spots, W1WBB in
RI was right at the top, so he was my first QSO (two others later called me
including W1XX QRP).  Then I spent the next few hours mostly CQing, with a
little S/P at the end.  W0KT was spotted on 40, but the pileup was unruly.
When he seemed to have stopped answering people, I was convinced he had given
up, but I sent "W0KT AD1C" on the clear frequency and he came right
back!  Later, N7IV in ND was spotted on 20.  Sometimes 20m is too long for this
path, but not this time.  So I was down to just WY. I could not hear WC7S on 20m
from the spots, but did hear N7NG on 20m who was able to copy my exchange and
helped me finish a sweep I had no right in finishing.

I always like to see which sections were the most prevalent in my log:

VA      24
MDC     21
IL      21
SCV     17