[3830] CQWW SSB IZ3NVR SOAB(A) QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, menon.ste@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB IZ3NVR SOAB(A) QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 11:14:41 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: IZ3NVR
Operator(s): IZ3NVR
Station: IZ3NVR

Class: SOAB(A) QRP
QTH: JN65
Operating Time (hrs): 32

  160:   14     3       10
   80:   41     5       26
   40:  120     9       48
   20:  266    17       67
   15:  149    16       52
   10:   98    10       41
------------------------------

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

It has been definitely a tough weekend. Conditions were not good and that hurted
all weekend long. Initial thoughts were to leave the QRP category this year and
move on to the Classic Low Power one. Fact is that I could not get the
recording going on the new radio (FT-950) and had to switch to an Assisted
category since I couldn't have the recording of the contest needed for the
Unassisted. As it turned out I operated more than 24 hours as well so at least
I had more time to have fun, despite conditions.
The contest itself has not been planned since I had my major degree
dissertation just 3 days before it. CQWW was not exactly my main source of
concern :)
The contest weekend had some ups and downs both on conditions and on
accomplishments.

10m showed some action that was not present since a few. Mainly the band was
silent but during a couple of openings there were workable stations (EU mostly
with a couple of well known AF stations and very little to no Asia). While the
"NA opening" happened I just couldn't hear anyone on the band.
One good thing of 10m during this weekend was the fact that 10m had almost no
noise. Signals were affected by deep fading and strong S9 stations could come
and go in a matter of seconds. Fun!
15m, my usual best band, was the worse in my opinion. Almost no US heard,
imagine how many worked. Not a single JA or Oceania station. On the other hand
I could hear with a great signal a 5T4 station (new one DXCC for me) during
almost all saturday. Of course I couldn't work it and I kept being called CQ in
the face even when there were no other competitors.
As a positive thing, while I was bus with other stuff in the shack I left the
DVK goiung with some CQ (when you are desperate enough you even get to that
point). I was astonished when PZ5K came back to my CQ and even more astonished
when a friend of mine texted me few minutes later telling me he recorded a
video of PZ5K coming back at me!!!
Thanks for the video and especially thanks to PZ5K operator that made me
litterally fall off the chair.
Of course after such an episode nothing else exceptional happened and I spent
endless CQs that went obviously unresponded. That only answer made me pround
indeed!

Less packed than usual was 20m as well. Very few NA and a VK station heard
solidly working EU but of course couldn't make a dent in it either.

The most remarkable thing is the number of 160m QSOs. That made up for all the
frustration of the weekend. 14 contacts on the Top Band with my modest setup is
indeed a great thing for me.
Of course all the contacts are from neighbourhood countries that are
"easy" to work but still...its on 160m!

Sunday might have been a bit better than saturday but very slow indeed. Ended
up the contest with a smaller score than last year, less QSOs but more
multipliers (maybe I understood how to properly play assisted). N1MM says 28
active hours but the real BIC time should have been around 30-32 indeed.

I am quite amazed to see really huge scores in such a contest at QRP level.
It's likely one of the main reasons for me to move up on a different category.
Even if I definitely like QRP I see that it has some vulnerabilities in the
checking process. "Power" problems are not related only to QRP of
course but I sense the fact that might be quite underestimated in here. I guess
I should back up a friend's saying that the "Just for fun chacklog"
category is the fairer.
Anyway I will be active in the upcoming CQWW CW trying to maximize my fun and
hoping for improved conditions.

Stefano

RTX:
FT-950 @5W