[3830] SS CW W1NN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W1NN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 12:47:49 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  436
   40:  269
   20:  188
   15:   56
   10:
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Good conditions, low noise and no major equipment or antenna problems.  I didn't
have trouble staying awake on Sunday and put in the full 24 hours of operating
time.  Lots of SO2R contacts. However, activity seemed light to me and my score
is very disappointing.  This is only the 7th highest score I have produced from
this QTH.  I even did better operating remotely from Japan two years ago!  The
Sunday morning runs on 40 were especially poor.  Was activity down, or am I
past my peak?

Mults were very available this year.  I think worked at least two of every mult
except for VY1, VE6 and KP2. Thanks to VY1JA supported by W1VE and his team of
supporters for working through the summer to bring about vast improvements in
the VY1AAA station.  It really paid off this year.  VY1AAA (op W1VE) was
blasting through on 20 an hour before the contest.  Oddly enough I never heard
him on 20 during the contest and didn't work him until Sunday and that was on
15.  About two hours befoe the end of the contest I heard Gerry calling CQ on
the low end of 40.  He was nice and loud.  Thanks to J and Gerry for really
putting the station on the map!

I'm not sure why I didn't have much trouble staying awake this year.  I was
still slightly jet-lagged from coming back from Asia 10 days earlier but I had
a good sleep Friday night, which no doubt helped.  I had trouble falling asleep
during my three-hour break and only slept for an hour or so.  I thought this
would be a fatal mistake but I felt surprisingly good all day Sunday.  I tried
to avoid eating carby junk food throughout the contest, so this may have been
the main reason.

The station:

K3 and OMNI VI (purchased in 1995 but still going strong)
Win-test running on XP computer
High bands:  Small tribander fixed west at 40 feet + 20 dipole @ 50 feet
40:  dipole at 50 feet plus horizontal loop at 35 feet
80 dipole at 65 feet (really works!)

Thanks to the sponsors, volunteers and participants.

73, Hal W1NN