[3830] SS CW NX4N Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cqdenx4n@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW NX4N Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 02:09:51 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: NX4N
Operator(s): NX4N
Station: NX4N

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WCF
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:   47
   40:  622
   20:  496
   15:   40
   10:    0
------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Hi Friends,
Wow - another great cw ss is in the books and it was a really fun time for me
once again.
I dedicated this year's effort to my brother Matt, who unexpectedly passed away
at 54 just eight weeks ago.  Matt was my cheerleader and supported all my
activities - RIP dear brother.

For 4 of the past 5 years I have had the honor and good fortune to use the
Tampa ARC's clubhouse and antenna farm for ss cw.  The members are very
welcoming and wished me well Friday as I brought and assemble a complete SO2R
station. This really makes the effort more like a FD or contest expedition, but
without the bugs and antenna slog.
My score is about 80 QSO's down from last year - I believe in part due to band
conditions, less participation and perhaps I just had a bit less concentration.
 First couple of hours were actually ahead of last years effort but after 12
hours I was behind by those 80 QSO's and it stayed that way for the remainder
of the contest.  But I worked it hard, stayed with it and finished strong -
very happy with my effort.

Some nice highlights -
1. VY1AAA called ME! Big sig too. I had the sweep within the first 12 hours of
operating; no sweating it out on Sunday (for once!).  Thank you Jay and Gerry,
and all the other rare mult stations for granting me that sweet coffee mug.

2. I put my new baby,a SPE Expert Amp 1.3KA, into action and it performed
flawlessly.  What a sweet little amp - all 22lb including internal tuner.

3. Tripled my SO2R S&P QSO's - really worked it hard and getting better
each year.  I had not touched my DXD since last ss but I committed to
overcoming the learning/lid curve - definitely getting the hang of it. I will
never be a K1TO or K6RO on SO2R but it is rewarding to see myself improve.

That said, there were a few weeds in the garden and Murphy did drop by for a
visit:
a) Conditions, especially Saturday, were uber noisy - the worst in several
years hear.  Noticed many stations went to 80m because of the QRN and long band
cdx on 40m. I had to give up on way too many marginal callers (bummer).
Still, the 20m C31-XR and the 40m 2 el worked like the rock crushers I remember
from last year - good heavens they are just dominant here in WCF.  Sure beats my
attic dipole at home!

b) RFI was getting into the IC-7600 on the S&P station.  Never heard this
before including previous years.  Also seemed like signals were down along with
trouble breaking pile ups.  What the @#$%^! ???
Well, I didn't realize until Monday that the C19XR at 70ft had been windmilling
and now was taking turns pointing towards KH6 to LU - yikes!  Glad I was running
high power or I might still be calling those mults!

Ahh the stories - it is always fun to read yours and I hope you enjoyed this
little one too.
In closing, it was a wonderful contest and I so much enjoyed working old and
new friends alike.  Congrats to all of you for participating and thanks for all
the QSO's!

vy 73,
Chris, NX4N