[3830] SS SSB N8II Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N8II Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 15:47:03 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 14.4

------------
  160:    0
   80:  428
   40:  266
   20:  342
   15:   39
   10:    0
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The XYL woke up very weak on Saturday, probable bacterial infection. So, I was
caregiver and chief cook/dishwasher for the weekend. The skip zones were
"very looong" making it difficult to work the high population areas
on my doorstep (only 65 miles NW of DC). I made lemonade out of lemons, and
surprised myself with an average of 75 QSO's per hour. The 14.4 hours was the
N1MM+ calculation, actual time per rules a bit longer.

After a very slow first 7 minutes on 20 phone, I got a good run going until
just past 23Z when it was time to fix dinner. I had 200 Q's in the log by
2301Z. After dinner, it was down to 75M at 2351Z where I settled on a very
prime frequency and had a great run until 0230Z with a total of 502 Q's and 77
sections in the log. Best 60 minute rate of test was 132 at 0050Z. My back and
neck were bothering me, so I went up to wash the dishes and just did not feel
like more operating.

Sunday went pretty well starting at 1355Z (starting earlier than around 13Z
would not have been that productive. I operated whenever I could, taking time
off for XYL, meals, and walking the dog. The AM 40M run went well with minimal
QRM and I returned to 40 early afternoon for a nice run on a clear frequency
with lots of very casual guys with very low NR's calling. About the time
everyone was abandoning 40 at 16Z was when the skip zone finally shortened
enough to work PA, MD, and VA. 20 was a bit rough with LP, but did manage to
run a few off and on. RI popped in around 1630Z, but in general the skip zone
was very long not allowing Q's with IL. 15 was best in the 17Z hour and never
was good for any volume; a few signals were very loud, but CA/OR/WA were mostly
weak or no prop. Interestingly, BC was coming in well, but no WWA to speak of.

The quest for the sweep was not easy. I spent no time hunting sections
Saturday.
WV was one of the last six and I had to hunt down the other 5. The last 3 were
PR at 1738Z (weak on 15), MS on 20 at 2037Z, and finally PAC at 2336Z not long
before 20 would close for good! I spent time off and on tuning 15 for KH6 and
never heard one.

Many thanks for the QSO's and standing by when there was a pile-up. I would
have to say that the average operator needs to practice logging pn there
logging program before the contest as many seemed to be struggling to input the
data even when I sent it at a moderate pace.

73, Jeff