[3830] SS SSB K0EU SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rkmassoc@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K0EU SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 17:58:29 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K0EU
Operator(s): K0EU
Station: K0EU

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  282
   40:  580
   20:  995
   15:   30
   10:
------------

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Almost had to bag this one when I discovered that the sound card setup on my
shack computer was not working right with the MK2R. It was working fine earlier
in the week, so go figure. I struggled with it for a few hours, and decided
something was either wrong with the sound card or that the Win-10 update last
Thursday must have scrogged something. So, I opted to replace the shack
computer with my work computer. If I was smart, I would have already had it
setup to contest. But, I am not and so I had to install N1MM and the MK2R
driver software from scratch. Took me another couple of hours to get things
working, except that I couldn't do on-the-fly recording of messages.

Things went great for the first four hours. I was only 10 QSO's behind last
year at the four hour mark. But, I fell behind by 60 Q's at the 8 hour mark,
and behind by 110 Q's at the 12 hour mark. In the end, it looks like the rate
was consistently down by about 10 percent this year compared to last. I think
the main reason was 40M conditions. There seemed to be a lot of quick QSB,
making it tough to get the exchange info from weaker stations. In fact, there
were quite a number of stations that were just too weak to pull through.

Congrats to the big scores out of Texas and N9RV in MT, and especially to Bruce
AA5B who was kicking my butt using his temporary wires setup in NM. And also
congrats to N8OO who was quite a bit ahead if my QSO total Sunday morning. I
assume he will be the winner of HP-U.

Thanks KA9FOX, N5RZ, and K3LID for providing "fresh meat" in the last
hour. Seems like there used to be a lot more of that in years past.

73 Randy K0EU (aka "Ken" in NAQP)