[3830] SS SSB K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, artboyars@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 20:54:28 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 15:15

------------
  160:
   80:  163
   40:   68
   20:   50
   15:   14
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

An even bigger drop from last year than in SS CW (but less disappointment, as I
don't care so much about 'phone).  I could not get runs going on 80M as in
previous years, and I was getting clobbered in the jump balls.  Correlating
that with similar experience in SS CW, and remembering a few years ago when I
discovered that the ladder line feeding my antenna has open-circuited, I may
have been using a Zepp instead of a dipole, or maybe an open feedline and a
talented antenna tuner.  I think it's time to lower the dipole and check the
feedline again.  I'd have done that Sunday, but temperature was way down and
winds were way, way up.

With such poor results, it was easy to take time off -- especially with chance
to spend time with granddaughter and to take my wife out to dinner.  Lots of
non-official off times of less than 30 minutes.  Sunday afternoon I decided to
push more for the Sweep (with about eight Sections missing).

Even the Sweep began looking hopeless, so around 22Z I quit, spent time with
the granddaughter, showered and dressed up.  We called the target restaurant
about 0030Z; they could take us right away, but warned that their heat was off.
 Forget it.  I fixed a little dinner; we ate; I cleaned up the kitchen; and I
resumed the hunt for the Sweep.

Just before my 22Z almost-QRT I had bagged the MS station that I'd had to pass
by earlier -- could not get through his pile up at first.  I still needed NT
(low likelihood, if I had not heard him by now), AK (possible, if one shows
up), SB (also low), PAC (should have heard one by now), ORG (having avoided the
competition for AA6PW earlier, I'll have to fight for it now -- IF I can find
him), and OR. Oregon?!?! How can I still need Oregon?  Is this going to be last
year's Oklahoma?

When I got back on at 0130Z, 15M and 20M were dead closed.  I kept hunting on
40M for the mult's, and made brief excursions to 80M to generate a little
volume, with quick checks of 20M to be sure that some KH6 had not found a magic
opening.  As I tuned on 40M I heard an S-5 signal say "... November
Tango," and then "...Alpha Alpha...."  Whoa Ho!!!  Sure enough,
there is VY1AAA.  After many calls, and after the opening got a little
stronger, and with many, many repeats, he is in the log.  One of my most
satisfying contest QSOs ever.

A little later I found AA6PW on 40M, louder than the VY1, but not hearing me as
well until the opening got better around 0215Z.  Again, many repeats, but the
QSO was made.  And with that, it was QRT.  Somewhere in that last foray I did
hear somebody say "...Santa Barbara" on 40M, but never heard a real
opportunity to get SB.  Never heard a peep from PAC, AK, or OR.  Oregon!  Ah
well, another year to figure that out.

If I find that I did this 'Test with no antenna, I'll feel like I accomplished
something.  Otherwise, ...