[3830] CQWW CW A93JA(KE5JA) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW A93JA(KE5JA) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 11:22:02 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: A93JA
Operator(s): KE5JA
Station: A93JA

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Bahrain
Operating Time (hrs): 44

  160:   24     6       12
   80:  369    15       61
   40:  910    29       92
   20:  935    30       89
   15:  983    27       97
   10:   12     4        9
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Good contest, and conditions generally seemed better than the SFI / A / K
Indexes would indicate.  Disappointed that I was only able to make 12 QSO's on
10m though.  I wasn't expecting good 10m conditions, but because I was able to
work 246 QSO's on 10m in last month's SSB contest, I was expecting the same for
this one.  Still, I was very happy with my QSO total and overall score given no
contributions from 10m.

I'm not sure if I will still be here in Bahrain at this time next year, so I
wanted to put in a good effort this year.  Besides, I'm getting a little old
(61) to stay up all weekend working SOAB.  I put in 44 hours this year and did
not sleep any during the contest.  I did shut down a couple hours early
though.

I'm only running a multi-band beam (OB9-5) @ 45' on the high bands and wire
antennas on the low bands.  Pile-ups seemed bigger this year, both with people
calling me and when I was trying to work others for multipliers.  There were a
number of stations that were not so strong that I tried to work for a
multiplier but could not crack the pile-up.  I only used a dipole on 80m and
1/4 wave sloper on 40m.  The sloper seemed to work quite well for what it is,
and the conditions on 40 seemed quite good.  If only I had a beam on 40m . . .
. oh well, one day.  I had trouble calling CQ and holding the frequency at
times on the low bands as I guess my signal was not strong enough.  The worst
part was the number of stations calling me that would keep calling non-stop and
not listen, so even though I generally would pull out a call and send my report
right away, I had to wait and repeat the call, etc. many times to get the other
stations to stop for a few seconds and let the other the station I was calling
work me.  This was especially bad on 80m.  On 40m, I had to move a number of
times the second night after a big station set up essentially on my frequency
and started calling CQ.

I was first licensed in 1971 and always dreamed of being 'DX', so I am finally
living my dream now.  I'm glad I was able to give out the A9 multiplier to as
many as possible, and hopefully I gave a few of you an all time new one!  I
respond to all QSL's received and am happy to QSL, so feel free to send one
either direct to KE5JA or A93JA, or via the USA ARRL QSL Bureau / KE5JA.
(Bahrain does not have a QSL Bureau).

73 & Good DX from Bahrain and hope to work you on the air!