[3830] CQWW CW AE0EE SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ae0ee@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW AE0EE SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 00:02:18 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE
Station: AE0EE

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 27

  160:   13     3        2
   80:   19    10       10
   40:   41    17       21
   20:   58    14       32
   15:   59    15       33
   10:   12     8       11
------------------------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

100 W, dipoles at 20-30'; mostly keyed with an iambic paddle, though some
vibroplex bug and straight key---no macros.

Propagation was definitely down from the last two years, but there were a few
great moments to this contest.  I had among the the 53 unique DXCCs worked two
all-time new ones (FO and J7), and worked two more entities toward my 10 m
DXCC.  This year's numbers on 80 meters were an improvement from last year in
QSOs, zones, and countries.

Overall, I was pleased with the amount of activity on 10 meters---I had feared
that there would be very little point to trying to make contacts up there.
There was also some interesting propagation on the other bands.  On 40 meters,
between 1510 and 1530z (mid-morning local) I heard UW2M, 4X---[4NJ?] and AH0K;
at 1830z (half past noon) there were several JAs on 40 meters, and by 1915z
TK0C was there.  While most were unable to hear my hundred-watts-and-wires, I
did manage to work one of the stations.  While my QSOs, zones, and countries
were all down on 160 meters, I was hearing pretty well: at one point around
0100z Sunday, my unassisted bandmap included three DLs, a CN, and several
Caribbean and South American stations.  Challenge for next year: help the DX
stations on 160 turn **--** into *- * ----- * *; they're almost there!  With a
few more dashes and some spacing, it'll be just right.

For another year, my CW has improved noticeably.  I started out the contest
before warming up my keyer, and it was rather slow.  Upon adjusting it, I found
it was "only" at 28 wpm!  Mostly I was able to copy the fast callsigns
and exchanges, but it may just be that I'm getting used to the big-gun DX
callsigns and the cut-number exchanges.

This year, with propagation tough for my station, I focused a bit more on the
extreme bands (160 and 10 meters), trying to get a few more for DXCC at the
expense of some score on the middle bands (especially 20 and 40 meters).  That
mission was moderately successful, though the 160 m effort didn't get any
non-US/VE stations in the log.