[3830] CQWW CW PZ5V M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW PZ5V M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 16:19:07 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: PZ5V
Operator(s): AA7A G4IRN KY7M N4QS N7CW
Station: PZ5V

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: PZ
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  108    12       49
   80:  857    26       99
   40: 2547    37      137
   20: 2552    37      126
   15: 2490    31      125
   10:  391    19       44
------------------------------

Club: VooDoo Contest Group

Comments:

The VooDoo Contest Group was on the road once again this year. This marks the
22nd year that this group has operated in CQWW DX CW. This is our first time
operating from South America. We were hosted by Ramon, PZ5RA, in his wonderful
contest station just south of Paramaribo, Suriname.

The contest station consists of two Moseley PRO67 yagis on two 22 meter towers
for HF and an inverted Vee for 80 and a T antenna for 160. Two beverage rx
antennas were also used for LF operating...one towards EU and the second
towards USA/JA.

160 meter conditions were not good. We either called CQ and got no replies or
had huge pileups and could not work anyone due to the non-stop callers. We
clearly need a little more TX antenna and better conditions when operating in
M/2 operating class where one must always keep an eye on the rate meter and
visit the band from time to time for effective score results.

80 meters was a great band for us. Working 100 countries is a good measure for
us and we were right about there this year. The QSO total is lower than we are
used to when working in either Africa or Western Asia. PZ is really a good DX
catch for both EU and NA and we attracted a bit of attention but we likely were
not seriously strong in either continent.

40, 20 and 15 were our really good bands. We theorized that PZ would be a good
location to work both EU and USA and it turned to be right. Signals from Japan
were quite marginal and suffered from rapid QSB. We are so used to logging
thousands of stations from JA in CQWW DX CW and will try to figure out how to
do that better if we operate from SA again next year.

10 meters was so close to being a real money band. The band opened well from
northern SA (e.g. PJ4) to USA on Sunday, but not to our QTH. Over the course of
time, the locations that the VooDoo Contest Group select in our travels are
usually further from the high population zones and our successes are most
affected by the outcomes on 10 meters. This was another case of being one skip
zone too far from where the real action was. But, maybe it will be our time
next year.

A tip of the VooDoo cap off to the groups at CN2R, PJ4A, PJ4Q and maybe others
for a great competition. We will see you all again from somewhere next year.

73,
Ned/AA7A