[3830] ARRL 160 3B9HA(G0CKV) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, olof@rowanhouse.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 3B9HA(G0CKV) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 14:48:10 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: 3B9HA
Operator(s): G0CKV
Station: 3B9HA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Rodrigues
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

Total:  QSOs = 19  Sections = 10  Countries = 2  Total Score = 38

Club: Wey Valley Amateur Radio Group

Comments:

Now here was a chance in a lifetime to set and own the record for 3B9 in the
ARRL 160m contest I thought. So I set out on 22z Friday evening (2am Saturday
local here)  leisurely tuning the band but I quickly realized that the only
record in sight was the QRN level. At sunrise on Saturday the QRN was still bad
and there was nothing audible on SP from NA. At sunset on Saturday noise floor
was fine but no LP to the US West, no SP from KH6, only JA and UA audible.

On Sunday sunrise however suddenly the QRN dropped and I could enjoy the
locally low noise level here. In a glorious 30 minutes I quite easily S&P'd
my way to 19 QSOs.

At the last sunset Sunday evening around 1415z I had decent copy on one single
station over LP, NA7TB, for some 10 minutes, but he couldn't hear me.

Anyhow, a challenge but good fun.

K3, SPE 1.3K at 800w, 16m toploaded umbrella vertical

73 Olof G0CKV