[3830] ARRL 160 N9SE Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9se@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N9SE Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 16:36:56 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N9SE
Operator(s): N9SE
Station: N9SE

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 19

Total:  QSOs = 657  Sections = 73  Countries = 10  Total Score = 103,896

Club:

Comments:

I love the ARRL 160 and the Stew Perry maybe even more than Sweepstakes. Even
with QRP, I was able to hit a peak rate of 80 QSOs/minute running S&P. I
was really disappointed that I was several hours late in getting started. I had
hoped to try for first place this year in QRP SO Unlimited, but I didn't improve
on last year's score. In fact, I didn't even match last year's total.

I haven't had time to set the SAL back up this year, (plus, the SAL never
really conquered the local QRN), so I set up a pair of 20 ft verticals with
preamps. I used an old MFJ receive antenna phasing unit I bought at the Fort
Wayne hamfest last year for $20 (plasma TVs are killing me here).

I did some antenna work this year, (to my massive two fan dipoles and wire
vertical super station:), but I didn't quite get everything squared away before
contest season. I started the contest with one elevated radial on the
Inverted-L, but after only working one W6 the first night, I added the second
radial Saturday. It didn't help my W6 problem. I called and called, but only
managed to work two or three of them.

Equipment used:
  - K3S at 5 watts,
  - Inverted-L (70 ft vert/80 ft horiz, with vacuum variable tuning cap and two
elevated radials),
  - Two phased verticals with MFJ-1025 for rx.

73,
Marty N9SE