[3830] ARRL 160 VA3EC Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, harry.kosterman@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 VA3EC Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 17:08:58 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VA3EC
Operator(s): VA3EC
Station: VA3EC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 10

Total:  QSOs = 381  Sections = 56  Countries = 2  Total Score = 43,008

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

First time I used the KD9SV Dexpedition that I bought years ago with a Explorer
14 at 50 feet with the 40 meter kit as my rx ant.  This was proof of concept
before finishing a K9AY which is close to being finshed.  Much nicer to listen
to the external rx ant.  Noise here is 20 over on the tx ant W8AMZ sloper and
S1 on the rx ant with both the KD8SV and IC preamps on.  I have a back split
and yesterday wired the second floor aluminum gutter as an rx horizontal loop
with parasitics (downspouts).  It was very loud.  I swept it and found a dip in
the 80meter phone band.  More fun ahead.  I found backing off the RF gain on the
700 makes it much nicer to listen to.
Thanks for the Q's.
Harry VA3EC