[3830] ARRL 160 W8FN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8fn@tx.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W8FN Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 17:41:27 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W8FN
Operator(s): W8FN
Station: W8FN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 8.6

Total:  QSOs = 309  Sections = 63  Countries = 7  Total Score = 45,150

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

Station:
K3S/KPA500/KAT500
Wire Inverted L - 30' up and ~90' over in trees with K2AV Folded Counterpoise

This one went relatively well. Right from the beginning Friday afternoon there
were a few stations on and workable, including W0SD who was astonishingly loud
in full daylight.

Before dark it was all close in stuff, but later the band went longer. I was
amazed that I could hear and work a few of the DX stations quite early,
including CS2C. This is the first time I've managed to work EU from the Texas
urban location. Given that I have NO dedicated receive antennas, this was a
real and pleasant surprise. The Caribbean and SA guys were also there. I worked
three KP2s. KV4FZ had a great signal most any time I heard him, and ZF9CW was
crazy loud here.

Surprisingly, my crummy Inverted L and FCP system seemed to be getting me
heard. I didn't break many pileups, but usually got through to anyone I could
hear. Many of the signals I worked were near the noise level, but they heard me
nonetheless. Again, the Diversity capability of the K3 was invaluable. I
initially used the Pixel loop on the Diversity receiver, but discovered later
that the 80 meter vertical was usually somewhat better.

Friday night was all search & pounce, and I finally gave up at 0600 when it
was apparent there wasn't going to be any DX to work and the rate had gone way
down.
Back on Saturday afternoon at 2200, I worked a few new ones and actually got a
bit of a run going. I had to QRT for a previously scheduled social engagement
at 0000 and didn't get back on until 0400. Unfortunately, the static crashes
were much worse Saturday night, making it difficult to hear at times. The Pixel
loop seemed to be able to null out the worst of the QRN, but the 80 meter
vertical was still better on the Diversity channel. I managed to establish a
run frequency and ran from about 0500 until 0600. Many of the callers I had
were pretty weak and there was lots of QSB, making it pretty hard to pull some
of them out of the noise. By 0600 I had had all the fun I wanted and terminated
operation.

Fortunately, this time there were no equipment or software problems at all. The
KPA500 ran like a train, pumping out just under 600 watts. The K-Pod remote
tuning module made it easy to operate while rarely touching the radio itself. I
got the most-used front panel buttons mapped to the K-Pod buttons, so all
adjustments were right at hand.

Thanks to all who were on and gave me a QSO. My apologies to those who I
couldn't hear well, who put up with my many requests for fills. I plan to be
back next year. See you then.

73...
Randy, W8FN