[3830] ARRL 160 W7EW(@W7AT) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W7EW(@W7AT) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 20:23:00 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W7EW
Operator(s): W7EW
Station: W7AT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 600  Sections = 80  Countries = 8  Total Score = 113,256

Club:

Comments:

It has been a while since I could play more than intermittently in a radio
contest.  Was pleased to work 80 sections but not sure how many there are
anymore because that gets changed occasionally. 8 countries is huge for me on
the West Coast on 160M. HC2 and CX5 just pounded in along with several of our
JA TopBand guys. What didn't pound in was the QRP guys who made for good
practice in static variation indicating somebody was there. So I'd switch to
different wires and such in order to try and hear a note. Some of the QRP guys
did great and must have nice TX setups as they were weak but hearable. The
other guys who throw up a coathanger and get power from their hamster cage's
treadmill can be proud of their ingenuity and dedication but remember that when
making a long DX QSO the heavy lifting is done by the other station.
    That is why The Stew Perry TopBand DX Challlenge rewards the recipient of a
qrp qso with 4X the points.....2X the point for low power.  Makes things a bit
more fair.  So in 2 weeks when you're in The Stew remember not to blow off that
weak note in an effort to maintain your "run". There are increased
points there.
     The station seemed to work OK. Nothing exploded, caught fire or made any
relatives upset. A big-ass oak did fall over due to the rain and winds but, for
a change, didn't take out any guy wires or Bevs. Just blocked the road for a
while until the Stihl solution was employed.
     So- see you in The Stew in a couple of weeks!
     and sign up to be a Stew Perry plaque sponsor!