[3830] ARRL 160 KN5O M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kn5o@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KN5O M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 21:28:37 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KN5O
Operator(s): KN5O NO5W
Station: KN5O

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Covington, LA
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 1002  Sections = 81  Countries = 26  Total Score = 226,305

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

Started out Friday evening by myself.  QRN was not too bad, but as the evening
progressed, it got worse.  Thunderstorms in the Gulf of Mexico south of me
moved onshore and by Saturday morning, static crashes were 10-20 dB over S9.
At 4:30AM Saturday I had enough noise in the headset and went to get some
sleep.  Had a DX Club luncheon to attend that day at noon.

When I got up Saturday late morning, I saw my 100ft 160M vertical antenna had
fallen out of the big pine tree that supported it (this was an omen).
Thankfully the hoisting rope was still in place.  But everything was a tangled
mess and didn't have time to mess with it.  Later that afternoon, Chuck, NO5W
and David, W5XU, helped me get it back up, albeit with some issues and SWR
problems.  In retrospect, should have left it on the ground as the weather was
headed downhill as more storms approached.

Chuck, NO5W, operated most of Saturday night/Sunday morning.  The QRN was
terrible, much worse than Saturday morning.  Probably should have called it a
weekend, but he persevered.  So our apologies to those who called but we did
not answer.  We did our best under the circumstances.

Can't believe we missed NNY!  I can well understand not getting NT VY1AAA.  Saw
the spots, but would have been fruitless for us, as we couldn't hear him.
Congrats to those who got through.

Thanks to all who called for the Qs.

Ted KN5O
Chuck NO5W

FT-1000 Mark V
Alpha 8410
Transmit Ant: 100 ft #12 wire vertical with top hat/64-100 ft+ radials
Receive Ant: XMT Vertical or Hi-Z 8 circle (temporary 150 ft diameter)