[3830] ARRL 160 K2DM Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2dm@att.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K2DM Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2016 12:31:47 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K2DM
Operator(s): K2DM
Station: K2DM

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NFL
Operating Time (hrs): 2

Total:  QSOs = 21  Sections = 13  Countries = 2  Total Score = 720

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

So, here's the deal.  I live in a deed-restricted retirement community.  Outdoor
antennas are forbidden, mostly.  However, it is a complaint-driven community.
So if no one complains about your outdoor antenna, it can stay up.  And if your
antenna is put up after dark and taken down before dawn, no one can see it to
complain.  So, about the time that the whippoorwill, the chiggers and the
thorny bushes do their thing at the K3ZM super station in VA, and brother Peter
is replacing miles of coax and repairing preamps, I try to figure out what kind
of wet noodle I am going to put up this year.  You see, a tradition has
developed whereby I try to work Peter in the 160M contests.  Sometimes I can
even work brother Jeff (VY2ZM).  This year, having moved to a new house, I ran
a wire through the shack wall to a push up mast, thence to a palm tree.  It
actually loaded nicely with my venerable Heathkit antenna tuner, and Peter
answered my first call.  Yay!  I managed to work a few other stations while
looking for Jeff, but it turns out he wasn't on Friday night.  Happily, I found
him Saturday night and snagged him on the first call, too.  Double Yay!  But I
could barely copy Jeff.  I'm going to need something better next time, but the
tradition will remain as long as the bros keep playing in the 160M tests.