[3830] ARRL 10 KT8K SO CW QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt8k@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 KT8K SO CW QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 00:35:59 +0000
ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: SO CW QRP
QTH: EN82cg? SE Michigan
Operating Time (hrs): 2:03

   CW:  37     11
  SSB:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  37     11  Total Score = 1,628

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I hadn't time for a full-on effort and the conditions were not encouraging, but
I spent a little time on Saturday and then came back for a bit Sunday hoping
for better conditions, but got the opposite.  Some TE brought a few South
Americans and I worked about half of what I could hear, but watching the Lions
and the falling snow was frankly more exciting.  I was happy to hand out some
points, though, and it was an interesting exercise in dealing with poor
propagation.  Sad not to see any Sporadic E, but I got the "worked all
gulf states" award quickly.

Thanks for the Q's and a safe and happy holiday to everone -- Tim

equipment:
- Tentec Orion at 5 Watts w. MFJ Grandmaster memory keyer and Bencher BY-1
paddle, WGA TR-2000 headset
- ancient XP laptop barely able to run N1MM+

antennas:
- homebrew wire ground plane w. 40 and 80 verticals, 1 40m radial, 1 80m
radial, 2 43 foot radials (from an earlier experiment, to be converted to
resonant lengths asap)
- the tribander driven element dipole was down several S units so I didn't use
it - time for a take down and checkup, but we're getting possibly 10 inches of
snow tonight, so ... I'll get to it.
- 20/40/80m 3 wire dipole at 25 feet was used only for auxiliary listening

Thanks for enjoying my ham radio (and other) songs:
"I Want a Big Tower" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNWZjzrzgwA
"If You Ain't Runnin', You Ain't Winnin'"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNWZjzrzgwA