[3830] ARRL 10 VK2CZ SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 VK2CZ SO SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 01:20:53 +0000
ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VK2CZ
Operator(s): VK2CZ
Station: VK2CZ

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: Sydney
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:    0     0
  SSB:  212    26
-------------------
Total:  212    24  Total Score = 10,175

Club:

Comments:

Peculiar conditions all round. Worked 2 US States within 3 minutes of Contest
start, and eventually another 3. [NM,CA,LA,CT,TX,HI) oddly I only heard US east
coast stations (who probably accidentally had their beams pointed into Oceania),
hearing well, but missing NY, ME and MA stations - am guessing the ops there had
to much qrm there.. :-(

With huge local sporadic E, the whole of Australia was audible 100% of the time
on 10m.. sadly was largely impeded by so many gormless local VeeKays  rag
chewing on 28.480 thru 28.500, confirming the 'Kruger Dunning' affliction is
also present among wanna be hams. Asking them to move off the feeble DX
frequyencies is met with verbal abuse..

Put up a temporary antenna for the weekend in sub-urban Sydney was quite the
challenge, stymied by low batteries in my Antenna Analyzer (which gave silly
readings, leading me to replace the feedline before I realised the analyzer was
at fault).

I used a normal mast at 14m (47') high, with my old antenna cut back to 8
elements, the original 24m (79') long (9 element) antenna can be seen here
->  https://www.qrz.com/lookup/vk8aa

Had some good fun,
Regards,
David Burger VK2CZ
Sydney, Australia
IEEE History Committee - Milestones Chair 2016.