[3830] ARRL 10 VE4GV SO Mixed Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 VE4GV SO Mixed Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 02:09:01 +0000
ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VE4GV
Operator(s): VE4GV
Station: VE4GV

Class: SO Mixed Unlimited HP
QTH: MB
Operating Time (hrs): 4.5

   CW:   63    18
  SSB:   65    21
-------------------
Total:  128    39  Total Score = 16,808

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety, but that had to have been the biggest
waste of time I've ever experienced in my 45 years of contesting. In a
word...horrible.

On the plus side, you could go out for brunch, come back and still hear the
contest equivalent of gently sizzling bacon on the grill in your ears....and
that's about all.  Brutal, simply NOT fun. Now that I run the amp more often I
can't imagine what it would have been like to be stuck at the old 100w level
like the old days at this QTH. Even stil... you gotta hear em to work em.
Literally NO DX outside an occasional Caribbean and the standard few PY/HK/LU
SA big stations.

Sunday, there were literally no signals all day...NONE.  Zero, nada ..bupkes.

What was even more depressing was going on to DXmaps.com and watching all the
HF activity on Sat...realizing that me and VE6AO were the 2 stations that were
furthest north in N.Am. and all the activity was SOUTH of us.

Frankly, I'd rather be doing root canals (which I DO for a living.)

I'm tellin ya...if this is what contesting is going to be like for the next few
years, were in big trouble up here. (I can't WAIT for the 20 m slugfests that
will happen in years to come when we don't have 15 at ALL and 40 is noisy as
hell. 80 and 160...for DX??? from 49th parallel and mid continent?....surely
you jest!!) You guys ijn teh Midwest have NO effing clue of what the REAL Blakc
Hole is like.  Yeesh.

Gonna have to seriously investigate alternate DXpedition alternatives. This
SUCKS...BIG TIME. Time to think about 6Y, KH6 etc etc,

A VERY pissed off VE4GV Rob