[3830] TBDC N5OE Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5oe@nctwb.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC N5OE Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 18:16:18 +0000
Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N5OE
Operator(s): N5OE
Station: N5OE

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 8

Total:  QSOs = 55  Total Score = 168

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

Wow, basically I am just hoping that I was able to hand out my QRP points to
others for Q's. Awful time here but was determined to stay with it. 40MPH+
Northerly winds and sub freezing temps evidently knocked tree limbs on the
lines or something to cause the commercial supply here to go out. I was about 1
hour into the contest when the commercial power went out, so I grabbed some
extension cords and fired up the old 1970 Onan generator out in the shop. Ran
temporary power into the shack and got everything up and running again.
Commercial Power came on and off no less than 30 times through the night, and I
could hear on the band a good 20 over 9 QRN every time it would try to come
back. Between that going on and storms NE of my QTH, really caused me trouble
being heard and especially hearing others. Probably my worst ever attempt at
this FUN and exciting contest, but all in all, I still had a good time winging
it as things kept falling apart everywhere around me:) At sunrise, the family
and I were greeted with 11deg F temps (That's ugly cold for TEXAS y'all) ,
still 15-20 mph winds, no water to the house or shop, no electricity, 6 gallons
shorter on gasoline supply, and bone tired.

Thanks for the Q's and all the patience on the fills.
N5OE