[3830] TBDC NQ6N Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, matt@nq6n.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC NQ6N Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 20:58:56 +0000
Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: NQ6N
Operator(s): NQ6N
Station: NQ6N

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 0:55

Total:  QSOs = 68  Total Score = 215

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Before the contest I took the KX2 around the house looking for sources of RFI.
It turns out one set of holiday lights was generating a lot of noticeable
noise.  I wound a choke with the end of the cord and added a few snap-on chokes
which seemed to reduce the noise quite a bit.  I also identified a few very
noisy wall warts, so I think this sort of house survey was long overdue.

However even with the lights unplugged the noise was S9+20.  The K3's noise
blanker was able to reduce it to about S8 which was remarkable, but not quite
good enough to pull out weak signals.

The noise suddenly appeared on 160 a week or so ago as more and more holiday
lights appeared in the neighborhood.  My spirits sank a bit as I realized it
might be very tough going in the Stew.

So last evening I saw the new Star Wars movie with family members and then did
a few hours of work, finally getting on the air around 0800Z.

73,
Matt NQ6N