[3830] NCCC Sprint W1NN LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint W1NN LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 04:30:12 +0000
NCCC Sprint - Jan 6

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5
Remote Operation

  160:   4      4
   80:  15     11
   40:   6      5
   20:   1      1
   15:   2      2
   10:
-------------------
Total:  28     23  Total Score = 644

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

As I complained a couple of weeks ago, I have run into a number of problems with
the remote on this trip.  With four or five successful years remoting from JA, I
should have this stuff down cold, but the failure of my K3 just before my trip
was a big setback, forcing me to go back to my old TS-480.  Just before I left
the US, I discovered that my new Linksys router is not working correctly but I
had no time to replace it.  I can't access my Internet switch except through a
2-3 minute phone call, so I am pretty much stuck with two antennas for the NS.
On top of that, even when I do switch the antenna relay, the 160 meter dipole is
dead.

A couple of days ago, I wondered whether rebooting my router (which I can do
over the phone) might let me access the Internet switch, but instead I
completely lost the ability to connect to the radio.  It looked like I might be
QRT for the duration.  This morning, I called my ISP and asked them to reboot my
modem. I didn't think it would really help, but it was worth a try. And, what do
you know, my radio came back to life after they reset the modem remotely.  Why
this should happen is a mystery but at least I am sort of back on the air for
now.

Although tonight's session was really tough, mainly due to the fact that the
selectivity of the TS-480 is awful and it seemed like everyone was on top of
each other, I did discover a couple of useful things: I can use the 40 dipole
to make contacts on 15, and the 80 dipole tunes on 20. Two weeks ago I realized
that I can make some contacts on 160 using the 80 meter dipole even though the
SWR is infinite.  Tonight I was even able to work W0BH on 160.  So I again have
five bands to play with in the NS and I will be able to operate the NAQP CW next
week and the NA Sprint in a month!

CU in the ladder.

73, Hal W1NN/remote in Tokyo