[3830] RTTY Roundup AC0C Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jeff@ac0c.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup AC0C Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 03:00:42 +0000
ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: AC0C
Operator(s): AC0C
Station: AC0C

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
   80:  470
   40:  576
   20:  697
   15:  400
   10:    6
------------
Total: 2149  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 53  Total Score = 236,390

Club: Kansas City Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to everyone participating who worked me.  Happy New Year.

This contest was not without some fumbles.  On the operator end, I had flipped
the 2nd radio session to reply to a fellow who had inverted tones and neglected
to set it back.  The 1st radio was busy but I appreciate the guy who mentioned
it to me or i may have ran on for a while that way.

And on the equipment end, at some point after the first couple of hours what
turned out to be a coax run between the BPF filter and a power meter apparently
started to leak enough that the rig was folding back.  And even with the amp,
output to the antenna had dropped to about 100w!  At first I thought the rig
had blow finals or something and resisted assigning fault to the cable too long
wasting more time.  Eventually tracked it down to an ancient (40 years old?)
coax jumper I had picked up at a hamfest last year.  The irony is that I used
that jumper in the setup thinking that with the Amphenol connectors and Belden
cable, "it was made right like they did it back in the day."   Uhhh-
huhhhh...

Propagation was weird.  At around 0300Z Sunday 40m seemed to fade away, leaving
just a few signals visible on bandscope.  That could have been due to the coax
cable - what a mess.  80m was solid and pretty quiet all evening, except for a
pretty strong power line buzz off to the west.  Feeling the effects of the
cycle, DX country count was down by 11 from last year.

The last few contests have had just minimal hardware problems by comparison,
and even this time nothing blew up - so I am hoping that the issues this time
can cover me with Murphy for 2017.

See you all in the WPX.

RYRYRYRY

73/jeff/ac0c