[3830] NAQP CW W6VMW(KM6I) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, km6i@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW W6VMW(KM6I) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 18:55:02 +0000
North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: W6VMW
Operator(s): KM6I
Station: W6VMW

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Palo Alto, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 5.5
Remote Operation

  160:
   80:
   40:   12     6
   20:  139    40
   15:   59    20
   10:
-------------------
Total:  210    66  Total Score = 13,860

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team #5

Comments:

Elecraft K3S, JK Antennas Navassa 5, JK 401 rotatable 40m dipole

This was the shakedown cruise for the VMware Amateur Radio club's new station,
operated remotely using the RemoteHams RCForb software with my K3 at home
slaved to the K3S in the club shack. Our station got its antennas at the end
of December, and we got everything in the shack wired up over the last few
weeks.

Overall, things worked pretty well. At times, I was getting some network
slowness,
which was only really a problem when I got dropouts. Latency is annoying,
but the dropouts really hurt. I'll have to see if I can tweak the server side
configuration. Thanks for the repeats when I needed them.

RemoteHams is pretty neat, and free. The client side supports creating virtual
serial ports that convince N1MM+ and N1MM rotor that they're talking to a
local
K3. And, if you have a K3 or K3/0 plugged into the client computer, you can
put
the local K3 in "term" mode and it will control the remote K3. I
needed to
program the function key macros with K3 "KY" keyer macros, since
RCForb doesn't
yet emulate a winkeyer. It was a little tricky not having a local paddle to
request/send fills, but I managed.

Looking forward to more remote operations!