[3830] NAQP SSB VE9AA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB VE9AA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 03:27:14 +0000
North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 3:21
Radios: SO2R

  160:    5     3
   80:    5     5
   40:   81    23
   20:  117    28
   15:    9     8
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  217    67  Total Score = 14,539

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Team: MCC The Trailer Park Boys

Comments:

Bubbles !

Let me just say....I blame this all on Dave, VE9CB AKA "Ricky"

A group of us MCCers decided we'd do a team and somehow I let Dave (Ricky) talk
me into calling the team "The Trailer Park Boys"  . I don't remember
what he promised, but it wasn't enough. (hi)

Every single contest I have ever entered I have always used "Mike"
(my real name)  As it turns out my real name is the same as the actor who plays
"Bubbles" on the TV show, movies etc. "The Trailer Park
Boys".  It's not a show I follow, but I have seen it a few times.  Those
who are more sensitive probably shouldn't look on youtube and watch any scenes
from it.

Sigh

At least I made a lot of folks laugh - which I guess was our goal all along, as
none of us take 100w and contesting on SSB very seriously.  It was hard work,
even with improved antennas.

Did a couple hours in the afternoon on 15, 20 and a smattering on 40m when I
was making supper.  After I watched a slew of show with the family (but not the
Trailer Park Boys)(ouch) I cam back to find 40m so long, I was hearing QRM from
ASia, SA and who knows what else, and only one Stateside station who could not
hear me.

Rinse and repeat for 160m and 80m.  I threw in the towel.

I don't think I'll be using this name again and will in all likelihood, be
living this down for some time to come !

Hats off to several ops who got it on the very first go.  It was a struggle,
even when I sent this 90% of the time:
"Bubbles, B_U_B B L E S, Bubbles, New Brunswick."

I had to laugh on about 6 or 7 occasions, I had the person come back and say
"Where did you say you were again?"

I think several got the reference right away and about half dozen (like usual)
had never heard of New Brunswick (New Jersey references aside)

My apologies to Tim, AB4B, you can have your BUBB's all back to yourself. I am
going back to "Mike"
K9PG, always makes me laugh.
8P5A very loud on 2 bands (missed them on 20/40 as I was away)
K3PA loudest KS stn.
Just too many more to mention.

Thanks for hanging in there for a very unusual, but not hard to spell (imo)
word that gave a LOT of people grief.

I am sure the call history and Super Check partials will be haunting me for
many years to come.

Mike...."Bubbles" this one time only...New Brunswick (It's next to
your MAINE)

Antennas for Radio #1:
10m = A3S @24\\\' (backup is HF9V)
15m = Wire 5el K1WA/K3LR SVDA (100% parasitic & homebrew)...or HF9V or A3S
or Delta Loop NE/SW
20m = Wire & Aluminum 4-square (Comtek)...or HF9V or A3S or Delta Loop
NE/SW
40m = Wire 4-square in the trees (Comtek)...or HF9V
80m = Wire 4-square in the trees (Comtek)...or HF9V
160m = Wire 2-el array of inverted L’s in the trees (Comtek w/ homebrew
controller)
Antenna for Radio #2
ZS6BKW @avg height ~40\\\' with added 15m inverted vee...only does
80m/40m/20m/15m/10m & 6m (no WARC or 160m)
No RX antennas
Rigs: 2 x IC-7410’s, YCCC SO2R+ box, N3ZN ZN-9dx paddle, Yamaha CM500
headset, N1MM+ logger
CU (all of  sudden) in the next one!

dit dit

-Mike VE9AA in \\\"NB\\\" or \\\"FN66\\\"