[3830] NAQP SSB AC3U(W3UL) M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3ul.bill@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB AC3U(W3UL) M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 14:20:59 +0000
North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: AC3U
Operator(s): W3UL
Station: AC3U

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:  188
   20:   22
   15:    0
   10:    0
-------------------
Total:  210    49  Total Score = 10,290

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC Annapolis #1

Comments:

AC3U is the station of Severn River Contesters.  We chose, however, to operate
this one from the club's winter location in Florida.

The contest started using an end fed wire run up a palm tree.  I figured that
our proximity to salt water would be helpful, BUT the real proximity was to our
condo building (think rebar!! sucking up our RF) thus making the first few hours
on 20M worse than having a root canal.

So, fearing the dreaded condo HOA (similar to the Stasi), we had dinner as the
sun set and then, under cover of darkness,  set up an inverted vee fan dipole
on a 32 ft mast attached to my car about 100 ft away.  From there on it was non
stop on the same 40M freq for several hours.  Next time I'll bring a 75M
antenna.

Spots were rare - the most notable by YO7MPD who reported a strong signal in
Romania.  Thanks for all the Q's.

 Band     QSOs     Pts  Sec  Mt2  Pt/Q
     7     188     188   34    2   1.0
    14      22      22   12    1   1.0