[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N6ZE/ROVER Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6ze@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF N6ZE/ROVER Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 01:59:01 +0000
ARRL January VHF Contest

Call: N6ZE/ROVER
Operator(s): N6ZE KJ6VZC
Station: N6ZE

Class: Rover LP
QTH: dm04&cm94
Operating Time (hrs): 6

    6:   9     1
    2:  21     2
  222:   9     1
  432:  13     2
  903:   1     1
  1.2:   2     1
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  55     8  Total Score = 860

Club: ventura county amateur radio society

Comments:

TRIVIA:
110 Miles driven
Score: 860 points    (QSOs 55) (QSO points = 86) (Grids  worked 8 + 2 Grids
Activated)
QSOs per Mile (QPM) = .500
Points per Mile (PPM):  7.818
Interesting ‘highlights’:
We had sunny skies on Saturday, BUT some mountain roads were unpassable due to
debris which resulted from two rain storms. Because we had very limited time to
operate, we never got  South of the Santa Monica Mountain range to work stations
in the LA Basin nor did we get down to Grid DM03 as we had planned.
2.6” of rain fell on Sunday in Ventura County, CA where “it never rains in
Southern
California”! Two 23 cm QSOs made during pelting rainstorm: I held a yagi on a
small mast and transmitted with a very damp FT-736 was inside the vehicle; power
was provided to rig by means of battery jumper cable routed to vehicle battery.
To qualify as Rover, we needed to make at least 1 QSO from a second Grid.
Sometimes, I use Grid CM94 as a second grid. When we travel to the SE corner of
Grid (CM94xl) on US-101 to the Northwest of Santa Barbara, CA, few stations are
normally heard from the beachline highway. (However, during the summer months,
stations as far away as San Diego (Grid DM 12) are frequently heard on the
enhanced overwater path.) This time, we worked only WA6EJO (DM04jg) on 70cm
over a 51 mile very obstructed (mountain range!!) path. Nil was heard from him
on 2 meters or any other bands, for that matter.
Grids Activated (2): CM94, DM04
Equipment: FT897: 6m/2m/70cm; TM331A: 135cm; DJ-G29: 33cm. Antennas: whips on
6m-33cm & 15element yagi on 23.
Operators: Pete, N6ZE, & Woodie, KJ6VZC