[3830] CQ160 CW K9YC Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K9YC Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 21:36:24 +0000
CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K9YC
Operator(s): K9YC
Station: K9YC

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: SCV
Operating Time (hrs): 11

Total:  QSOs = 513  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 17  Total Score = 117,864

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

For the last four years, I've run 160M contests QRP, focusing on QRP WAS. I
still need VT and SC, but have just installed a pair of VE3DO loops aimed at
EU, and wanted to give them a workout.  Hence, I ran high power assisted, when
things were slow, focused on learning what I could about the new RX antenna.

This was a very part time effort -- I went to bed almost an hour before the
early JA run Friday night, stayed up until the end of that first run Saturday
night, and went QRT when it died out about 0930Z. A more serious effort would
have been at least one full night and more time looking east.

I heard only one EU station (EI0R?) and called him a bunch of times, without
success. Only DX across the Atlantic was CN2AA. Thought I was called by an OA
during my JA run, but it was a JA with a cutoff leading dit.

I'm using a DXE NCC-1 phasing unit to steer the pair of loops, and I'm VERY
pleased with the result. The array is quite narrow in the horizontal plane but
quite wide in the vertical plane, and seem to be several dB quieter than the
Beverage that runs in more or less the same direction. With the NCC-1, it's
easy to steer the array +/- at least 40 degrees.

This pair of loops is quite easy to install -- IF you have the space to
separate them by 5/8 wave, 350 ft on 160M, and especially easy if you have a
lot of trees. Each loop is 40 ft horizontal by 10 ft vertical, fed in the
center of the lower horizontal section, and with the lower wire about 2 ft
above ground. Mine are simply rigged between trees. Google to find
documentation from both OK1RR and K3LR.

I like this array so much that I'm going to add relays to make it reversible,
and I've already begun helping my neighbor, W6GJB, who helped me build and rig
mine, build one for his station.