[3830] CQ160 CW N4CW Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4cw@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N4CW Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 21:51:48 +0000
CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N4CW
Operator(s): N4CW
Station: N4CW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 15:30

Total:  QSOs = 821  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 24  Total Score = 158,922

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Equipment used: K3, KPA500, WinKeyer USB, and an inverted-vee (apex at 90
feet).

Friday night the runs were good. Not having the stamina to last into the night,
I made it to just after midnight. Local noise was around S7 to S9...but the NR
button on my K3 really helped with most but the weak ones. Saturday, just at
local sundown I heard an S5 calling CQ...couldn't believe my ears, Europe on my
inverted-vee??? I was even more surprised to work him. That emboldened me to
seek out some more EU stations and was going great when the dog decided it was
time to go for a walk...can't ignore that for too long! When I returned, no
more EU...but the run rates were picking up, so I stayed in that mode for the
rest of the night.
Another big surprise was being called by CN2AA...and he was 579...everything
went well until I spilled my cup of water onto the keyboard of my laptop (which
is my ham radio computer!). Panic!!! I sopped-up as much as I could and had only
two bad things happen as a result: once the computer "froze", and
another time, a few minutes later, the dreaded "blue screen of
death"! I shut it down and waited a half hour before powering up
again...fortunately, no more mishaps and no more computer problems! But the
noise level from yesterday remained...funny it should occur only after
dark...makes me think it may be a nearby phone pole light...will investigate.
I'm pretty happy with the results. Missed SD and a few Canadian provinces.
Thanks to the many ops who suffered through QSB and QRM to complete the
exchanges accurately. 73