[3830] CQ160 CW K7CA Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, midnight18@cox.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K7CA Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 02:48:23 +0000
CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K7CA
Operator(s): K7CA N7JW WA7LNG W7RH
Station: K7CA

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: UT
Operating Time (hrs): 30

Total:  QSOs = 1492  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 51  Total Score = 623,700

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Greetings,

It has been over 15 years since the N7JW/K7CA remote site was constructed as
one of the largest Top Band antenna farms. Initially built as a remote and
antenna test site we gathered again for the annual CQ160 CW contest. The site
had laid mostly unused due to business and family engagements and was in need
of repair. Beverage antennas were restored, thousands of feet of cable were
replaced, a new generator was installed, a bunkhouse for rest, and the three
160 meter arrays were repaired and modified. A side note:  For the last two
years the arrays were not fully functional.

This is the third year the K7CA Multi-Op CQ160 group has gotten together at the
remote site to operate the CW contest. Bob W7RH and Jack WA7LNG again joined
Alan and Jim in the adventure. Alan and Jack are top notch iron butt operators
and did the running station while the old school 160M geeks Bob and Jim
performed search and pounce.

The station was ready to go at 0000 UTC, which is still daylight in Utah.
Fortunately, the weather was very cold and dry allowing us to do the antenna
work without wading in mud. The transceivers were tested with antennas and N1MM
logging software and we were off and running. We worked our first EU a German
station at about 0200UTC on Friday and a few more in the evening. Initial
thoughts due to solar conditions were  mixed, however JA stations became
audible before midnight local and we started running them as the east operators
were going to bed. We had approximately 100 in the log by daylight. North
American stations were sounding good and we picked up several South American,
South Pacific  and VK/ZL contacts. By the end of the first night of operation
our RAW score ~ equaled our entire 2015 and 2016 contest scores.

The second night we had a good EU opening effectively doubling our multipliers
followed by a second and third wave of solid JA contacts until well after
sunrise Sunday. We never expected to see as many enthusiastic JA contacts that
came in three waves early Sunday morning. We ended up with over 200 total in
the log. We shook our heads when YE0T? called us during the JA run. It was like
what the heck is that? We stayed up on Sunday morning in attempt to work a HS0
but they never peaked to a workable level with deep long QSB.

We were very excited to see Japan RBN spots showing us the strongest signal
from North America in the late morning hours proving the 8 circle and broadside
end-fire arrays were working very well.

Thanks to all who made contact and see you next year!

The K7CA crew.