[3830] NA Sprint CW W1WEF HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW W1WEF HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2017 14:59:41 +0000
NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: W1WEF
Operator(s): W1WEF
Station: W1WEF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ct
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:   37
   40:   45
   20:   25
---------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Team: Yankee Clipper Flying Clouds

Comments:

Damn Squirrel!
After an interesting afternoon of presentations at the YCCC meeting, I left a
bit early to get into my favorite contest, the NA CW Sprint. I've often had
setup issues for this one because of it's unique format, but this time I had it
all checked out days in advance and was confident I was ready.

When I powered up the station, the computer didn't come up normally. I was
afraid it wasn't coming up at all, but it finally booted before the monitor
said it was going to sleep again . My wife casually mentioned we had a power
outage, and she had to call Eversource; they responded quickly and got power
back, saying an animal had caused the outage. I hope we have one less squirrel
at our feeders now!

When I brought up N1MM, it had a problem I had seen before, but couldn't recall
what I had done to resolve it. In the "F Key" box at the bottom of the
logging window, instead of starting with F1, it started with F12, then F1. If I
hit F1 on the keyboard, nothing happened, but if I hit F2, it called CQ. The F
key entries in setup were all OK, and everything was in the right order  (by
setup I'm referring to the list you get when you right click on an F key).

With less than an hour to the start, I decided to reload N1MM Plus. I went into
control panel and programs,  and deleted N1MM Plus, and then downloaded the full
loader and the latest updates. The F keys appeared in the correct order but  I
had to reenter all my station  and the F key data, only to have  F12 reappear
as the first F key.

By now I was really discouraged, and the contest had already begun. After
cooling off a bit, I searched for anything else I could delete that said
"N1MM" and reloaded from scratch again. This time it worked, but I
had zero enthusiasm for the contest at this point.

I made a few Qs, but the fun was gone...

80   37/10

40    45/15

20   25/15          107/40     4,280   JACK W1WEF