[3830] MnQP AE0EE Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ae0ee@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] MnQP AE0EE Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 18:12:09 +0000
Minnesota QSO Party

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE
Station: AE0EE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LES
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:       9
   80:      49
   40:     107       24
   20:      37       23
   15:       4
   10:       1
-------------------------
Total:     207       47  Mults = 74  Total Score = 37,592

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

100 W, dipoles up 20-30', no memory/computer keying.

In each of the last two years, I set a new record for SOLP in Le Sueur county.
This year I set out to do it again.  The plan was to start on 40 meters, work a
few MN stations and pick up some county multipliers for 30-45 minutes, then
head as high in the bands as propagation allows to work non-MN stations,
switching between CW and phone as rates slowed.  At noon was a quick stop on 10
meters, then around lunchtime it was back to 40 meters to do a little
search-and-pounce for new counties and avoid starting a nice pileup with lunch
cooking on the stove.  After lunch it's back up to the higher bands before 40 m
at 3:30, 80 m at 4:30, and 160 m at 5:30.

Signals were generally not strong on 40 meters.  Sideband (yes, I have a
microphone!) wasn't working well either, and I wasn't really able to get a
clear frequency and hold it.  On 20 meters, DL3GA and OM2VL quickly found me,
with UA3AGW coming in a few minutes later.  It's reassuring to know my station
can still work some DX!  Signals continued to not be very loud, and rates
generally slow.  Ten meters was pretty quiet, but there were a couple points to
be had.

In the afternoon, my iambic paddle started flaking out on me.  I'm not sure
whether it's in the contacts, the connections to the paddles, or in the wire,
but it's not very helpful to have an iambic paddle which isn't reliable.  I
decided I'd had enough of that, so I unplugged the paddle, turned off the
keyer, and brought in the Vibroplex bug.  My keying speed was lower, but with
the reduced QLF, it sped things up overall---and I'm getting better with the
dashes.

I worked three stations on four bands: K0GW, K0MPH, and N2CU.
I didn't manage to hear many rovers, but I was also running much of the time:
N0UR: 6
N0IJ: 5
W0ZQ: 2
NR0T: 2
KE0TT: 1

Le Sueur county is becoming a hotbed of MNQP activity!  I worked three other
fixed stations, plus a rover, and probably missed a rover or two.

In the end, the score was well behind the record, but I had a lot of fun
getting on the air and saying hello to old friends and new.  I'm looking
forward to February 3rd, 2018!